Question about OMS/Faber LP 98 tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony387

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently acquired a OMS LP 98 tank. I appears to be in good shape. It was born in 2000, hydro-ed in 2008, and again a month ago. There is no corrosion on the outside or under the boot. I have heard that the paint on these tanks is not the best and prone to chipping, deep scratches, etc.

As for my question, the tank does have a lot of scratches, over most of the tank...and I was wondering what, if anything, could be done about them. Do the scratches on the tank make it more prone to corrosion? If so, would it be possible to paint and treat the exterior somehow? I've read that some have used Zrc Galvilite. I'm just wondering how big of a problem this is, and what I could do to prevent any long term damage due to corrosion.

Thanks in advance.

The gray paint does wear. We have several of them. I do not worry about it and just rinse and dry the cylinder after using it. You could strip the paint and apply cold galvanized paint. PITA for the overall benefit. IMHO. If ya want it to look better just find some matching gray enamel paint to cover up the rougher spots.

The gray paint does wear. We have several of them. I do not worry about it and just rinse and dry the cylinder after using it. You could strip the paint and apply cold galvanized paint. PITA for the overall benefit. IMHO. If ya want it to look better just find some matching gray enamel paint to cover up the rougher spots.

That's good to know. I'm not concerned with the appearance, just wanted to do whatever I could to prevent any future rust or corrosion. But based on your experience, the only damage is cosmetic...I'm fine with that. Thanks for the help.

what you SHOULD do is remove the rubber boot. Drill 15 or 20 small holes in the bottom of the boot in all locations. After each dive shoot a garden hose jet down the edge of the boot. and shoot water into the boot. Normally it will peel back and the freshwater will fill in all around the boot with the tank almost floating in the jet propelled water. Then store the tank standing. Corrosion under the boot or on the inside are potential issues. Scratches on the outside are inconsequential for normal recreational use.

Yeah, I was thinking about drilling some holes in the boot. At present, it just has one hole in the very bottom of the boot, about the size of a quarter. Not really sufficient for proper draining. My only other steel tanks are 72s with a completely different finish, so this is all new to me. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Interesting...I just sold an identical tank matching those dates to someone in RI....plenty of scratches on mine as well....pretty much impossible to avoid with its painted exterior.

I owned mine from 2000 until a month or so ago. Agree about the boot. The original boots on the OMS 98s are so high-sided and tight on the tank you will definitely want to remove it after every dive to rinse.

Yes, I dove it for the first time today. I agree, those boots are on there tight alright. Good tank, though..I like it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom