Tank Stickers for Identifying Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoy_A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was on an open dive boat the other day and a couple of the divers had what I thought was a really cool idea: Large reflective stickers on the sides of their tanks w. their initials in clear block lettering on them. Seems like a great way to easily identify another diver. I would like to add some to my tanks so that my dive buddy (or anyone else for that matter) can separate me from everyone else wearing black underwater. Considering the harsh and wet environment of diving, is there a preferred brand to buy? Is there a preferred method to apply them? Do they need to be removed annually for a viz? Any add'l considerations?

I've attached a picture w. an example of what I'm talking about:
Tank_Stickers.jpg

I just use the mailbox letters. They last forever and stand out well. Although I must say, I don't do it to "stand out" underwater....I do it so I can identify my deco bottles easily either on the boat or if I park them somewhere.

FWIW, yes all stickers should be removed from the cylinder annually for a vis inspection. You might think of ways to attach something like this to your BCD tank bands so that it is not cylinder dependent.

All of my cylinders are marked with my last name in ~2" letters below the crown using a black permanent marker. I did them so they face outward when in use but it's mainly for identification at the dive shop. I retrace the markings as needed every few years and there are no sticks to harbor nasties or that can be inspection issues.

Pete

Maybe some circlets, like those drink markers. :wink:

I mark my tanks (lobster numbers in my case) on the tank boot. No concern with having to take stickers off. If I ever decide to sell the tanks, they'll remain clean as a bonus. Crown is marked with my last name with sharpie to avoid mix ups at LDS.

Duct Tape and permanent marker! It's only temporary unless it works...

I purchased a roll of wide, white tape from the local craft store for less than $10 and write my name on it with a Sharpe. One roll has lasted many years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom