Carbon fiber scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SC_Guy911

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone.

Pretty new here so this may have been discussed before, but I play paintball and have used carbon fiber compressed air tanks many times. I was wondering if they make carbon fiber scuba tanks? I would imagine there would be a lot of benefits such as weight savings and such. If this has been talked about to death again I apologize and was just curious.

They make them for a lot of tank sizes, but generally CCR is where they crop up the most. The downsides are being approximately double the cost of normal tanks for a small amount of extra capacity; the same short 15 year lifespan of fiber-wrapped HPA paintball tanks, vs. "forever" for regular tanks; and never really being able to find anyone who banks/is willing to run their compressor to ~4,500psi.

That last one would be less of an issue in cave country, but they're already filling LP steel tanks to 4,000psi and beyond...

yes there are! We use them on our rebreathers. They differ from paintball CF by having being aluminum lined. Because of their weight characteristics, we use them almost extensively.

Here is the link for one: 2 Liter Carbon Fiber Cylinders

This is not the only kind/size as I have others for the Explorer.

Call AddHelium and speak to Tony. Ask what sizes are available other than the 2L.

carbon fiber isn't DOT approved for scuba afaik. they also have much shorter service lives than steel tanks. pretty sure the buoyancy characteristics would mean loading a lot of weight anyways so that your total gear weight wouldn't be any better.

carbon fiber isn't DOT approved for scuba afaik. they also have much shorter service lives than steel tanks. pretty sure the buoyancy characteristics would mean loading a lot of weight anyways so that your total gear weight wouldn't be any better.

The DOT doesn't "approve" tanks for scuba use.

Yes, their higher cost, shorter lives, and inability to find full fill sites is all paled by the fact that you will have to add a huge amount of lead to offset the buoyancy shift compared to metal tanks. When you switch from a 30# tank to a 10# tank, that weight has to go back on you somewhere!

They differ from paintball CF by having being aluminum lined.

What you meant to say was that they're exactly like paintball HPA tanks, in that they're an aluminum tank wrapped with fiber/resin.

The DOT doesn't "approve" tanks for scuba use.

Yes, their higher cost, shorter lives, and inability to find full fill sites is all paled by the fact that you will have to add a huge amount of lead to offset the buoyancy shift compared to metal tanks. When you switch from a 30# tank to a 10# tank, that weight has to go back on you somewhere!

Unless you are doubling them and diving wet. Or if you have an ultra negative CCR.

The OP wasn't asking about diving them in a CCR was he? I got the impression he was refering to general OC dives. As for doubling them, that just means doubling the extra weight you have to carry.

As for doubling them, that just means doubling the extra weight you have to carry.

You are delusional. Doubles are heavy as hell...reducing the overall weight would be beneficial to anyone not wanting to dive al80 doubles...ie those that would like more than 154cuft of backgas.

The luxfer fiber wrapped 106'a are very similar in bouyancy characteristics to the luxfer al80.... And I need 0 lead with the al80's doubled diving a 3mil full suit. Not everyone here is a floater there fella:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom