LP95 vs. HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What would the advantages to one over the other be? I know the HP holds more air but other than that why would you get one over the other one?

On land weight?
buoyance?

anything you know about the 2 would be helpful.

Right now I have LP95 but I may want to change depending on the benefits of a HP tank.

You forgot to specify a manufactory, but if I will assume that you asking about WORTHINGTON steel cylinders, which are not any more imported to USA, I think here all specifications.
HP holds more air in case you and dive shop are follow manufactory specification (LP - 2640 psi and HP - 3442 psi).
But internal (water) size of LP95 of cause bigger than HP100 (14.8 liters vs. 12.2 liters)
They have mostly the same
buoyancy (full/emty), but HP100 weight about 9 lb less outside of the water and less size.

The big thing is the weight of the LP95's on land. They are heavy ass tanks. If you can pump them up to 3600psi like they do in cave country they hold 130cf of air which is quite a bit. The old HP100's from PST have skinny necks, so require valves that aren't made anymore. Still available just have to hunt for them. Other than that it is really just the 7.25 vs 8 inch since they are the same height. If you aren't planning on overfilling, then the HP100's are much better tanks due to being narrower as well as significantly lighter. If you have the ability to get them overfilled and need the air, then 95's might be better.

The big thing is the weight of the LP95's on land. They are heavy ass tanks. If you can pump them up to 3600psi like they do in cave country they hold 130cf of air which is quite a bit. The old HP100's from PST have skinny necks, so require valves that aren't made anymore. Still available just have to hunt for them. Other than that it is really just the 7.25 vs 8 inch since they are the same height. If you aren't planning on overfilling, then the HP100's are much better tanks due to being narrower as well as significantly lighter. If you have the ability to get them overfilled and need the air, then 95's might be better.

Exactly this. One thing I will add, however, is if you're considering an LP95 you should go whole-hog and consider HP120s and LP104/HP130s as well. Of the two you mentioned, I'd get the HP100s because they're such tiny tanks they're great to deal with. LP95s are very low on the list of tanks I like. They're too short for the huge diameter in my opinion.

I have use both Worthington LP95 and HP100. In term of length, they are about the same. In fact, I think LP95 is just slightly taller. LP95 is fatter, and feels noticeably bulkier. Keep in mind, you need + rating to get 95CF. If you are to buy used, you want to pay attention to that. Persoanlly, I will go for HP100 over LP95

As for HP120, you really need to take a look or dive this tank before you decide. It is a very long tank. IMO, it is harder to handle than LP95 just because of its length. I will go for LP95 over HP120.

One thing I really forgot to mention is that I'm 6'6". Your height DOES play in to that.

6'4" here, the 120 is pushing it for me, and I have a short inseam. PST 104's would be where I aim for my back length since it is an inch shorter than the 120's it gives you a bit more wiggle room. Since you have one LP95 already it may be worth it to stay with that one in case you decide to double them up. Buoyancy characteristics are about the same when empty, but if you go to the HP100 it also means adjusting your cam bands every time you change tanks, big factor to take into consideration.

Interesting discussion. I'm curious about the difference between the LP and HP tanks, especially since I keep reading about the folks down in cave country overfilling the LP's to ~3500. Anyone up for giving us the short version of the technical differences, and what is practiced in reality?

there is a little more metal in the HP tanks, but nothing worth noting, that actually can be accounted quite a bit to the galvanizing process so the amount of Zinc on the PST's is quite a bit higher. Other than that, there really isn't much if any different. You have to change the burst discs on new LP tanks if you're going to pump them up that high, but they are safe to overfill. Engineering standard is the same 3aa. What is interesting is that the Worthington and PST's have a special hydro exemption so they are only hydro'd to 3/2's service pressure instead of 5/3's. So 5200psi instead of the 4000 for the LP. The biggest thing is the difference in brands with PST's being hot dip galvanized, and the Fabers not being dipped. I prefer PST's over Faber due to that reason

I have several OMS 98s which are essentially Faber 95s and they are beasts to carry around. I had a PST 95 which I liked the galvanized better but it was 5lbs heavier on land and only 3lbs more negative under water. The problem I have with them is I rarely get a good full fill, they didn't get + rated for some reason and so I find I frequently end up with a 2200psi fill when cool which is really only a little over 80CF. Sadly I don't have a lot of options for dive shops so I'm stuck with that fill.
Looking back I wish I had shopped around more and picked up a few of the PST E7-100 tanks instead as they would have shaved 5lbs of land weight and had a skinnier profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom