How is this possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How is it possible for tank, that is under constant pressure, that is never has less than say 500 PSI, have a significant amount of standing water in it, if it is only used at recreational depths?

Thanks.

How is it possible for tank, that is under constant pressure, that is never has less than say 500 PSI, have a significant amount of standing water in it, if it is only used at recreational depths?

Thanks.

The water can be pumped in during filling.

Air fills on dive boats are a common source of water in tanks. If the tank is kept under pressure >500 PSI at all times the source of the moisture is most likely the fill station. Filling in high humidity and/or not changing out the desiccant and filters on routine schedule would be my guess.

As others have said:
1) Poor drying of compressed air
2) Sloppy filling of wet gear or at a water bath fill station.

Somehow, someone put it in there.

Pete

Could that account for approximately 2 cups / 16 ounces?

What if it was actually seawater?

16 ounces is a lot of water to just come from poorly filtered air being pumped into a tank. Even over the course of a year between VIPs that is a lot of water. Where did you have these tanks filled between VIPs? How did you not feel that much water moving in the tank every time you picked it up?

That's a lot of water. You don't know the whole story here and if I were you, I would do some serious investigation on it.

Could that account for approximately 2 cups / 16 ounces?

What if it was actually seawater?

Did you piss anybody off at the shop? That is in the neighborhood of 25% of the tank's total capacity and probably 35-40% of the planned use capacity. Do you remember when your SAC went to hell?

Wow. My estimates are way off. I was thinking a half gallon when I should have been thinking .5 cu ft.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's enough water in the tank that if you were to get inverted you would be sucking water through your reg, unless you have an extra long inlet tube. I have a hard time believing there was 2 cups of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom