Restriction of 30 cu stage in check-in luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roman_66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any restriction of 30 cu stage in check-in language?
I know that tank should be separate from valve and Nitrox cleaning will be needed after flight.
I am still not sure that it fit my 50 lb suitcase, even with regulators and back plate in carry on.
But would like to now if any restriction apply.
If details needed : AA flight from Dallas to Cozumel and back.

Any restriction of 30 cu stage in check-in language?
I know that tank should be separate from valve and Nitrox cleaning will be needed after flight.
I am still not sure that it fit my 50 lb suitcase, even with regulators and back plate in carry on.
But would like to now if any restriction apply.
If details needed : AA flight from Dallas to Cozumel and back.

Nope. If it fits, you're good: Compressed Gas Cylinders | Transportation Security Administration

Just remove the valve and tape the opening. You CANNOT ship a charged cylinder on a passenger plane. Aircargo hazmat if filled.

Just remove the valve and tape the opening. You CANNOT ship a charged cylinder on a passenger plane. Aircargo hazmat if filled.

The inspector must be able to look inside and may not be willing to remove tape. If you must tape it, I'd use a clear cover material.

If you are planning on paying an overweight or extra bag charge, then tank weight (13 lb for a 30) may not matter. But a 6 or 8 lb pony would be more than enough for Cozumel recreational diving if you want to stay with one bag in weight requirements.

I have a friend that travels with a deco bottle. He has done it on several trips. His bottle needs to be empty ( without gaz), but the valve was always on it. No problem.

In link provided by JohnN it clearly said that "Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside."
I will not take a risk and simply will open the valve.
My 30cu weight mostly 14 lb and I plan to send it inside regular language check-in without valve.
I don't understand the joke why for Cozumel recreation dives enough 6 or 8cu.
Do you think it is more shallow in Cozumel ?
Just checked my last year logs : Cenotes 33 - 40 ft, Cozumel : 90-110 ft.
19cu will be enough and 4 lb less, not sure if I will bye it for this trip only.
Weighted my language with 30cu stage, it is about 55 - 60 lb taking in consideration that all regulators and back plate in carry-on baggage.
I need to check AA overweight policy.
Just today checked

My 30cu weight mostly 14 lb and I plan to send it inside regular language check-in without valve.
I don't understand the joke why for Cozumel recreation dives enough 6 or 8cu.
Do you think it is more shallow in Cozumel ?
Just checked my last year logs : Cenotes 33 - 40 ft, Cozumel : 90-110 ft.
19cu will be enough and 4 lb less, not sure if I will bye it for this trip only.
Weighted my language with 30cu stage, it is about 55 - 60 lb taking in consideration that all regulators and back plate in carry-on baggage.
I need to check AA overweight policy.
Just today checked

No joke. But I said 6 or 8 pounds. That is a 13 or a 19 cu ft tank. I have done rather slow ascents on my 13 from about 85 feet, including a 5 minute rest stop and re-boarding with air to spare (not much though). With few exception Coz dives are in the 80 to 90 ft range with the exceptions running up to 150.

If weight is a concern, there are lighter options.

No joke. But I said 6 or 8 pounds. That is a 13 or a 19 cu ft tank. I have done rather slow ascents on my 13 from about 85 feet, including a 5 minute rest stop and re-boarding with air to spare (not much though). With few exception Coz dives are in the 80 to 90 ft range with the exceptions running up to 150.
If weight is a concern, there are lighter options.
Sorry, I never calculated stage in lb, so I thought you miss write. :) Now I understand, you mean 13 or 19 cu. 13 may be not enough with my air consumption from 100 ft, but 19 cu should be enough. I will check price, if it reasonable to buy. Stage rent in Cozumel will be about $10 x 7 days = $70.
Thank you also Bob DBF for the link. AA allows 40 lb in carry on, which is nice, also in my ticket (via Expedia) and here is says that AA allows second small bag, I am interesting which weight.
Now I am thinking if I can also take my 5mm wet suit in second carry-on bag. It will allow me few more lb in check-in language.
Any restrictions about wet suits in carry-on ? I didn't find any.....
Here is nice packing example, but not in English.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom