Diver Height vs. Tank Height

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Curious on the relationship between diver height, and tank height. Most people I see diving tall tanks like 120s are 6'0+, but are there any shorter people out there diving tall tanks? Does practice allow you to find a good trim and balance in the rig, or will the height forever doom you to discomfort?

tank size is far more about dive profile than it is about body height. plan your dive and gas according to your dive plan and consumption. trim and balance are better adjusted with the correct placement of weight on your rig.
i'm 6'8'' and dive 80's to 130's relative to the dive i'm doing - not because i'm 6'8''.
(although for what it's worth - my LP130's fit me best )

I am not over 6 ft and shorter tanks, like HP 100s, are more comfortable than AL80s although I can easily dive both.

I think it is not just height. Folks have different length legs and necks. Waist to neck might be a key measurement.

I'm only 5'8" and can comfortably dive steel HP 120's/130's, but probably the AL 80 or HP 100 is the most height-appropriate size tank for me. Most women would prefer the AL 63 or HP 100 'length' tanks, but they usually can be OK with the standard issue AL 80 as well. For the most part I'd agree the HP 120/130's are too long for many people to be happy with.

I'm 5'10 myself, and love 130s, but 120s are a couple inches longer, and end up past my waist. Not a big fan of feeling tanks on my legs when kicking. But 130s aren't available to me now, so wondering if I can make do with 14L tanks (120s)

I think a short person can configure to a long cylinder better than a tall person can configure to a short cylinder. The mass can have a stabilizing effect but stout cylinders on a tall person can be too concentrated.

Many a diver has eventually discovered that the extra air consumption involved in fighting to overcome the trim / bouyancy issues with an oversized tank will burn up more air than the amount of 'extra' air in the tank in the first place.
[h=1][/h]

best tank height i determined as follows.

Sit on a flat surface with legs out in front of you or on a bench or something, reach behind your head with your right hand as low as you comfortably can reach. Have a buddy measure from the floor to your hand. Subtract about 2 inches and that is your optimal tank height. Cross check against the tank charts and you'll get close Any shorter and when you sit you'll turtle back, any longer and you won't be able to sit properly. Backplate and wings are best for this to get the tank valve up where it is supposed to be for safety. Trim is not effected by the length of the tank by any measurable amount but placement of the valve is. The valve and first stage weigh quite a bit and create a very large moment arm on the tank, so the placement of the valve is the most important part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom