Hamai Valves (Japanese Company)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Wondering if anyone knows anything about valves made by Hamai? Googling doesn't turn up much, but it seems that Thermo, who makes a lot of the valves in the US, is owned by Hamai? So are all the valves actually made in Japan by Hamai, and the Thermo name just gets slapped on when exported to the US?

Only non-Aqualung isolator manifold I've found for sale here is made by Hamai, but since I've never heard of them just want to make sure it's a trustworthy product.

Be careful.

The latest Thermo manifold that I got from my LDS was laser marked "Air Only".

Thomas register shows a California company with 1-9 employees. Homepage says company founded in 1965 sold to Hamai in 1988.

Sadly there's not much way around that; it wasn't so long ago that Nitrox wasn't legal here except for commercial divers, and it's been slow in gaining popularity like in the US and elsewhere. No shops will give a Nitrox fill unless the equipment has all been Oxygen cleaned, and as soon as you get an air fill it's void....Not to mention Nitrox fills are hard to come by, and pretty expensive. So I'm stuck with air anyway.

HP tanks are also illegal here. 200 BAR (2800psi) fills are the maximum allowed by government regulation :( Pretty sure that mixed gasses are still prohibited unless you're a commercial diver, as well. Bah humbug.

Hamai also used the name Thermo. They sold the scuba line of valves to XS Scuba and are now made in Taiwan, last I heard.

Back
Top Bottom