Valve thread sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kombiguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I picked up a 4 steel 72s the other day for a pittance. In the process of cleaning them, I found out that one had previously failed hydro, and the serial number was Xed out. Still a bargain for the rest. My question is really this:

If a 3/4 straight thread valve bottoms out in the neck with about a 1/4 inch or so remaining to be screwed in, is it a safe assumption that the neck of the tank is a 1/2 NPT?

I picked up a 4 steel 72s the other day for a pittance. In the process of cleaning them, I found out that one had previously failed hydro, and the serial number was Xed out. Still a bargain for the rest. My question is really this:

If a 3/4 straight thread valve bottoms out in the neck with about a 1/4 inch or so remaining to be screwed in, is it a safe assumption that the neck of the tank is a 1/2 NPT?

There's no such thing as a safe assumption across the Internet.

Take them to a SCUBA shop that has valves and find out.

flots.

Last edited:
… If a 3/4 straight thread valve bottoms out in the neck with about a 1/4 inch or so remaining to be screwed in, is it a safe assumption that the neck of the tank is a 1/2 NPT?

I’m confused. A current US-standard valve with a 3/4" straight pipe thread and O-ring seal will not even begin to start inside a 1/2" CGA (similar to 1/2" NPT) thread. Likewise, a 1/2" CGA will just drop into a 3/4" straight pipe thread.

You might have one of the relatively rare 7/8" straight thread tanks???

I’m confused. A current US-standard valve with a 3/4" straight pipe thread and O-ring seal will not even begin to start inside a 1/2" CGA (similar to 1/2" NPT) thread. Likewise, a 1/2" CGA will just drop into a 3/4" straight pipe thread.

You might have one of the relatively rare 7/8" straight thread tanks???

OK, an option I hadn't considered. Since the tank is going to be used as a display piece, it's not a big deal.

The 7/8 neck is not even close to 3/4. It is much smaller so a 3/4 valve wouldn't get started. But European metric M25 cylinder threads are very close to 3/4 and have caused disastrous problems because of the similarity. I'm just not sure there were any old 72s made with M25 threads.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

… I'm just not sure there were any old 72s made with M25 threads…

Now that you mention it, I’m not sure that any 2250 PSI 72s were made with 7/8" straight threads. There was another post earlier this year that mentioned that Sportsways made a 3/4" straight thread that was not 3/4" straight pipe.

Is one of the tanks or valves a Sportsways brand?

I can't make out the manufacturer. The tank has been painted so many times I can't make it out. Since it's already failed hydro, I'm just going to chase the threads, and see if that help. If not, I'll just tap it for the 3/4 valve.
Thanks everyone!

Edit: I just used a wrench and it snugged on down. The internal threads on the neck were pretty rusty, and I think that was the problem. Also, there was no relief for an O-ring that I could see, just sort of a slope down to where the threads started.

Now it's off to my study to hang my Nemrod double hose on!

I can't make out the manufacturer. The tank has been painted so many times I can't make it out. Since it's already failed hydro, I'm just going to chase the threads, and see if that help. If not, I'll just tap it for the 3/4 valve.
Thanks everyone!

Seriously?

It failed hydro. It's time to start it's new life as a wind chime, or a ride to the scrap yard and a free McDouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom