308m - New World Record! What Do You Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I met John Bennet in Singapore and has got to be one of the most down to earth people in the business. I am speaking to him about doing some 150-200 meter courses, he has got allot of knowledge and experience to go behind it.

Bruce

That is just nuts. I can't imagine going that deep.

I don't know the particulars of this dive but obsession with breaking "records" in this arena eventually gets the participants dead.

What's the point???

I sure with Sheck Exley was still around but his obsession with 1000ft made that impossible.

DSAO!!

I agree that pushing the limits of the human body and life support equipment in deep/long/cold dives eventually gets many of its participants killed, however:

There are examples in almost every activity of people who are the best among the best, and push limits, thereby expanding science, technology, medicine, or whatever.

As to "why", although I'm sure it is a personal thing for each person, in general I suppose the answer to why mountain climbers climb is most appropriate "because it is there".

Jeff

Originally posted by WYDT
I don't know the particulars of this dive but obsession with breaking "records" in this arena eventually gets the participants dead.

What's the point???

I sure with Sheck Exley was still around but his obsession with 1000ft made that impossible.

DSAO!!

Yeah, I thought of the pushing the limits for exploration thing but this isn't exploration. It's stupid. They go down a line to a point then come back up. There's nothing "new" about it. They aren't inventing new techniques the rest of us may use. I just think the depth thing is a dumb macho man type thing.

When scuba gets competitive is when people start dying. Setting "records" is competition.

Of course this is only my opinion, I may be wrong. :wink:

Originally posted by Fetch
I agree that pushing the limits of the human body and life support equipment in deep/long/cold dives eventually gets many of its participants killed, however:

There are examples in almost every activity of people who are the best among the best, and push limits, thereby expanding science, technology, medicine, or whatever.

As to "why", although I'm sure it is a personal thing for each person, in general I suppose the answer to why mountain climbers climb is most appropriate "because it is there".

Jeff

Ok, so doing 308m may be stupid for some people. However, would you say there is an analogy in doing extreme deep dive and let's say... car racing. Some people also think that race car drivers are out of their minds running at tremendously fast speed but it is in car racing that the evolution of modern car engines occured.

Ok, let me start out by saying that I know nothing of the equipment used to go that deep, but I would imagine that in extreme deep diving as in many other areas where people push the limits of technology and the human body, they are going to be coming up with ways to continually go deeper then before and that is going to mean new technology that may very well be of great use to the technical and even the recreational diver some time in the future. Have they contributed anything already, who got the idea to use helium, for example? Maybe it wasn’t someone diving for records but I would bet that the people that are diving for records are looking for new and better gas mixtures that could eventually be used in recreational level deep diving.
That is just my 0.002 parts of a cent, like I said, I don't know jack about deep diving, I just know that when people break the limits they almost always come up with new ways to, well, break the limits.

No, I believe technical diving in general is where gear gets refined and improved slowly and safely and sure the early pioneers of technical diving put themeselves out on a limb and yes they set records doing it, however this is different...

It's the rediculous "go deeper than any other man" down and up thing that bothers me. It's a competition with dire consequences.

I'm not aware of any new gear that has come from "record setting" deep dives. I am aware of many deaths.

There's no comparison between racing and record setting deep dives. Maybe racing and technical diving in general.

Originally posted by newwavedivers
Ok, so doing 308m may be stupid for some people. However, would you say there is an analogy in doing extreme deep dive and let's say... car racing. Some people also think that race car drivers are out of their minds running at tremendously fast speed but it is in car racing that the evolution of modern car engines occured.

Originally posted by Burke
Ok, let me start out by saying that I know nothing of the equipment used to go that deep, but I would imagine that in extreme deep diving as in many other areas where people push the limits of technology and the human body, they are going to be coming up with ways to continually go deeper then before and that is going to mean new technology that may very well be of great use to the technical and even the recreational diver some time in the future. Have they contributed anything already, who got the idea to use helium, for example? Maybe it wasn’t someone diving for records but I would bet that the people that are diving for records are looking for new and better gas mixtures that could eventually be used in recreational level deep diving.
That is just my 0.002 parts of a cent, like I said, I don't know jack about deep diving, I just know that when people break the limits they almost always come up with new ways to, well, break the limits.

I have heard conflicting reports on which regs were used, but he used BUNGIED OMS wing/harness and OMS phantom light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom