Sling system for AL40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to get some suggestions and discussion on the different "ready made" systems for slinging an AL40 cylinder under my left arm to be used both as a redundant air source as well as a deco gas.

I've seen Halcyon's on their website and like the looks and pricing. But I am open to hearing about other brands/models.

And while I acknowledge that DIY is one way, I'm at this time not interested in these methods.

So what are you folks using and why?

--Mike

I use Halcyon's, it works well.

Tom

Halcyon gets my vote.

Rule # six is the most important ;0)

Originally posted by WreckWriter
I use Halcyon's, it works well.

Tom

1 stainless steel hose clamp
2 stainless steel bolt snaps
1 piece of lawn tractor inner tube
1 piece of nylon rope
1 piece of vinyl hose

(edited because I wasn't thinking when I first sent it, I can provide pics if needed)

I did it myself because I could not justify paying someone for this. Also, because it works better than the store bought versions.

omar

36 bucks? What's your time worth? I bet if you went down to the local home depot/lowes/insert hardware store and bought all the stuff it would cost you ~18-20 bucks (min) and then that doesn't include your time to figure out putting it together. Not to mention I had a heck of a time trying to find black nylon cord of the same variety (might just be my home depot).

Originally posted by omar
2 stainless steel hose clamps
2 stainless steel bolt snaps
2 pieces of lawn tractor inner tube
1 piece of nylon rope
1 piece of vinyl hose

I did it myself because I could not justify paying someone for this.
Also, because it works better than the store bought versions.

omar

That's the beauty of DIY, you can put your own value on your time.

If you have bottomless pockets then opt for the store bought, if you have the knack for DIY then opt for the DIY/Omar version.
Pesonally I like Omar's, it's the same and a whole lot cheaper. And there is just something about making it yourself that gives a certain amount of satisfaction that you just can't get with store bought.

Don

Figuring it out?? 2 Knots.

The hardest part was painting the MOD

omar

"And there is just something about making it yourself that gives a certain amount of satisfaction that you just can't get with store bought."

I can respect your affinity for such- no argument here

"If you have bottomless pockets then opt for the store bought"

$36 this is 2002 right? If you guys don't have 36 bucks how can you take a date to the movies or pay for your AOL accts? Will you guys please tell me what the 'materials costs' are for your set ups...no one contested the 18-20 bucks I posted from home depot/. so at best you save less than half, right- and now with the paint and stencils my calculator is threatening to pad it some more?

"That's the beauty of DIY, you can put your own value on your time."-

Granted. However I believe that people 'value' their time at atleast what they make (hourly) and unless you are making below min wage (illegally in the us) then I just don't see the 'return' unless it is all addressed by the joy of DIY which I can respect for some individuals, just not for me.

The question for the two hose clamps was certainly valid as I have seen and even may still have a photo of a guy that did metal to metal off two hose clamps one on each end. If I can find it I will scan and put up for a laugh. Then you can all see the image I had in my mind when the pre-edited post was available.

I can get the dive rite stuff at cost. I still made and prefer the "home" made ones.

I don't get the stainless steel snaps at the local hardware store. They are crap. I go to a marine hardware shop.

omar

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom