Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Air tools underwater

Amphibious

status is going down.

Dives
    I just don't log dives

Air tools underwater

Has anyone ever used regular air tools underwater? I run a small commercial pool service company. I do alot of rust stain removing in the bottom and sides of pools. The cause of most stains are wire ties or rebar to close to the gunite or into the plaster. I have been removing the plaster with hammer and chisel. Removing the wire or rebar with file and or saw. My budget will not let me purchase a real underwater tool. Just wandered how well air tools would perform under water. The life of the tool.
    Dave

lone : solitary : sole,only : isolated
    frogman : a swimmer equipped to work underwater for long periods of time

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    I use pneumatic chisels underwater with excellent results. I splice an air line from a regulator hose with hose clamps and a piece of Stainless tubing. Of course it can also be run from a normal air compressor.

I have purchased very inexpensive pneumatic tools from Harbor Freight ($9-$15) I think and they last a while, even for marine use. You do need to soak them in freshwater after use and also add a lot of oil during extended use and also before storage. They seem to "dry out" quicker when used UW
    SCUBA Diving: The only sport where grown men will brag about how low their sac is.

Registered

Commercial, Military, &
    Public Safety Dive Gear Sales

Photos
    I've used quite a few different air tools underwater, but the critters like to eat up the air so use a compressor rather than a tank if at all possible.
    You'll also want to use vegetable oil or mineral oil in the critters; petroleum products are an environmental no-no.
    Your friendly Viking/Poseidon Drysuit dealer.
    Si Tech Valves & DryGlove Ring Systems
    Viking DryGlove Ring Kits
    Drysuit Repair Parts & Glues, PB-300