New GUE standard gas mixes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know who else caught George's email over on quest, but he said that GUE will change its standard gases to match the WKPP standard gases (http://www.wkpp.org/gases.htm) on the next printing of the GUE materials.

Finally we have something good to talk about...

Code:
Backgas would be:
Depth Range                Max O2%               Min He% 
0-190 ft.                    18                    35 
200 ft.+                     12                    70 

Drysuit Inflation Gas - 100% Argon

Code:
Deco gases would be:
Depth Range             Max O2%                Min He% 
200 - 240 ft.*            16                     45 
130 - 190 ft.             18                     35 
80 - 120 ft.              35                     25 
30 - 70 ft.               50                     --   
                    Oxygen @ 30ft
  ONLY when Dry, Out of the Water, and in Habitat 
0 - 20 ft.              100% O2

Bottom Mix
10'-100' = EAN32 or 30/30
110'-150' = 21/35
160'-200' = 18/45
210'-250' = 15/55
260'-400' = 10/70

Deco Gas
20' = 100% o2
70' = EAN50
120' = 35/25
190' = 21/35

Backgas breaks are still recommended at 12 on - 6 off

1. What does this mean for triox? Is triox just going to standardize on 18/35?

2. The WKPP gases state max o2 and min He. How much variation are we going to see in gases being used? Will people increase helium quite a bit above the min or stick to what the min value is?

Is this likely to affect the max depth permitted for Tech 1 students? Current is 150', which corresponds to the MOD for 21/35. Should Tech 1 now go to 190' on standardized 18/35?

metridium once bubbled...
Is this likely to affect the max depth permitted for Tech 1 students? Current is 150', which corresponds to the MOD for 21/35. Should Tech 1 now go to 190' on standardized 18/35?

I could see where it would still be prudent/valid for the student to gain experience in the 150' range rather than to 190' where mistakes/inefficiencies may be amplified due to increased gas consumption and deco obligations at depth.

Not a major change in ATA's, but given how problems can snowball, a small measure of conservatism may be better.

O-ring once bubbled...
1. What does this mean for triox? Is triox just going to standardize on 18/35?

2. The WKPP gases state max o2 and min He. How much variation are we going to see in gases being used? Will people increase helium quite a bit above the min or stick to what the min value is?

The Triox class was billed as a no staged deco class in the 0-120 (130?) recreational range in which the PPO2 was increased to give extened bottom times while the HE eliminated the narcosis. No deco gas (other than backgas) was utilized and no planned deco stops other than what is required for any dive, what some would call safety stops.

I would expect that this will not change.

Dave D

I think this will effect the Tech 1 and 2 classes. I don't think people would take a tech 1 class, that is good to 150 when the Triox class is good to 130.

Eric

As a prospective Tech 1 student, I can only say that I'd be much more inclined to take the class if it were 190' MOD, if that can be done safely. No surprise there, right?

150' doesn't seem like much for all the training and expense, at least at first glance, and especially if I have cave training first.

But I'm not a technical diver yet, so what do I know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom