Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New GUE standard gas mixes?

Has not set a "status"

New GUE standard gas mixes?

I don't know who else caught George's email over on quest, but he said that GUE will change its standard gases to match the WKPP standard gases (http://www.wkpp.org/gases.htm) on the next printing of the GUE materials.

Finally we have something good to talk about...

Code:
    Backgas would be:
    Depth Range                Max O2%               Min He% 
    0-190 ft.                    18                    35 
    200 ft.+                     12                    70 

Drysuit Inflation Gas - 100% Argon
    Code:
    Deco gases would be:
    Depth Range             Max O2%                Min He% 
    200 - 240 ft.*            16                     45 
    130 - 190 ft.             18                     35 
    80 - 120 ft.              35                     25 
    30 - 70 ft.               50                     --   
                        Oxygen @ 30ft
      ONLY when Dry, Out of the Water, and in Habitat 
    0 - 20 ft.              100% O2
    Last edited by O-ring; April 9th, 2003 at 09:48 PM.
    "I'm Warren Miller and about 50 years ago, back in 1946 when I was a senior in college, I went skiing on the second weekend in November. On Monday morning, I went back and dropped out of school. Since then, I've never looked back." - Warren Miller

Atlantic Underwater

Has not set a "status"

Here were the old GUE standard mixes for reference..

Bottom Mix
    10'-100' = EAN32 or 30/30
    110'-150' = 21/35
    160'-200' = 18/45
    210'-250' = 15/55
    260'-400' = 10/70

Deco Gas
    20' = 100% o2
    70' = EAN50
    120' = 35/25
    190' = 21/35

Backgas breaks are still recommended at 12 on - 6 off
    "I'm Warren Miller and about 50 years ago, back in 1946 when I was a senior in college, I went skiing on the second weekend in November. On Monday morning, I went back and dropped out of school. Since then, I've never looked back." - Warren Miller

Atlantic Underwater

Has not set a "status"

First few questions to get discussion rolling...

1. What does this mean for triox? Is triox just going to standardize on 18/35?

2. The WKPP gases state max o2 and min He. How much variation are we going to see in gases being used? Will people increase helium quite a bit above the min or stick to what the min value is?

Atlantic Underwater

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Is this likely to affect the max depth permitted for Tech 1 students? Current is 150', which corresponds to the MOD for 21/35. Should Tech 1 now go to 190' on standardized 18/35?
    (Si) vis pacem, para bellum.

Tech Diver

Has not set a "status"

What About The RecTriox Class?

I thought the standard mix for the RecTriox class was 30/30. I'm wondering if it will change what type of mix we will be using for the class?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

Really?

That's a lot of deco for 20 mins @ 100!
    -Jeff

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

[QUOTE][i]metridium once bubbled... [/i][B]...

metridium once bubbled...
    Is this likely to affect the max depth permitted for Tech 1 students? Current is 150', which corresponds to the MOD for 21/35. Should Tech 1 now go to 190' on standardized 18/35?
    I could see where it would still be prudent/valid for the student to gain experience in the 150' range rather than to 190' where mistakes/inefficiencies may be amplified due to increased gas consumption and deco obligations at depth.

Not a major change in ATA's, but given how problems can snowball, a small measure of conservatism may be better.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

[QUOTE][i]O-ring once bubbled... [/i][B]1. ...

O-ring once bubbled...
    1. What does this mean for triox? Is triox just going to standardize on 18/35?

2. The WKPP gases state max o2 and min He. How much variation are we going to see in gases being used? Will people increase helium quite a bit above the min or stick to what the min value is?
    The Triox class was billed as a no staged deco class in the 0-120 (130?) recreational range in which the PPO2 was increased to give extened bottom times while the HE eliminated the narcosis. No deco gas (other than backgas) was utilized and no planned deco stops other than what is required for any dive, what some would call safety stops.

I would expect that this will not change.

Dave D
    You just can't show up for "game day" and expect to win. You've got to go to practice if you want to be ready!

Registered

Working back into the sport

Dives
    200 - 499

I think this will effect the Tech 1 and 2 cla...

I think this will effect the Tech 1 and 2 classes. I don't think people would take a tech 1 class, that is good to 150 when the Triox class is good to 130.

Eric

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

As a prospective Tech 1 student, I can only say that I'd be much more inclined to take the class if it were 190' MOD, if that can be done safely. No surprise there, right?

150' doesn't seem like much for all the training and expense, at least at first glance, and especially if I have cave training first.

But I'm not a technical diver yet, so what do I know?
    (Si) vis pacem, para bellum.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast