Where to store a sea sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
I just purchased Halcyon 6 foot sea sausage and i am now wondering where is the best place to store it on my BC? I currently have a Scubapro X-Tek BC. I have a thigh pocket for my wetsuit, but it does not fit. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I just purchased a similar item from Dive Rite. It comes with a mesh tube-like carrying case that you can clip onto the rear of your BC (DiveRite BC's have D-rings in the bag). It would clip kind of low, near the bottome and underneath the bladder. Its pretty out of the way there, but the open end of the tube is easily accesible. I suspect but do not know that the Halcyon sausage would fit in the mesh bag as well. You can order it from DiveRite express (don't remember the web address but it might be as simple as www.diveriteexpress). The cost is nominal.

a4lod once bubbled...
I just purchased Halcyon 6 foot sea sausage and i am now wondering where is the best place to store it on my BC? I currently have a Scubapro X-Tek BC. I have a thigh pocket for my wetsuit, but it does not fit. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You mean a DSMB, right? I clip mine off to a ring on my weightbelt along with the reel. That way it's easy to get at and out of the way when I'm not using it.

R..

<somebody deleted part of my post and I dont like it...>

yeah, I just clip those off to me on a dring, or throw it into a pocket...

Diver0001 once bubbled...
You mean a DSMB, right? I clip mine off to a ring on my weightbelt along with the reel. That way it's easy to get at and out of the way when I'm not using it.

You clip your DSMB on your weightbelt? What if you drop your weightbelt in an emergency? Now your only chance of being spotted is 100 feet below you.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

You clip your DSMB on your weightbelt? What if you drop your weightbelt in an emergency? Now your only chance of being spotted is 100 feet below you.

You drop your weightbelt? :wacko:

lol

I suppose it's not entirely impossible that you'd have to drop your weightbelt in an emergency but then you'd already be on the surface and it just takes a second to unclip the dsmb before you eject your weights.

and frankly, the chances that (a) you'd have a major problem causing you to abort a dive where you cna't be seen (b) you'd be too negative on the surface to stay afloat and (c) you don't have time to unclip your sausage before you dump your weights are pretty small in my opinion.

And besides, I use it to create a reference for mid-water ascents in bad viz. For example, if I can't find the anchor-line at the end of a wreck dive and I really need to leave the bottom. I've never been in a situation where I needed to use it to signal a boat.

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...
You drop your weightbelt? :wacko:

In an emergency, yes, I would. If it's take a hit or drown, I'll take a hit.

I suppose it's not entirely impossible that you'd have to drop your weightbelt in an emergency but then you'd already be on the surface and it just takes a second to unclip the dsmb before you eject your weights.

What if you need to drop your weight underwater?

I'll admit...the situation would have to be pretty extreme, but it is a possibility. Especially when there are much better places to put the thing, like in a pocket or on a d-ring. Why create a potential problem when you don't have to?

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

In an emergency, yes, I would. If it's take a hit or drown, I'll take a hit.

What if you need to drop your weight underwater?

I'll admit...the situation would have to be pretty extreme, but it is a possibility. Especially when there are much better places to put the thing, like in a pocket or on a d-ring. Why create a potential problem when you don't have to?

Well...... I personally can't think of any realistic scenario that would make dropping your weights under water a good idea. You'd need to be solo, overweighted and in a free-fall along a bottomless wall caused by a sudden catostrophic failure of a bungee-wing or something. And then to have all of this happen somewhere that you'd surface well away from the boat...... The chances of this are probably more remote than getting run over by a submarine ..... I mean, planning for risk is one thing but you can also make things unnecessarily difficult for yourself too.

but ok, if all of this *did* happen I'd say just dump the dsmb in that case. Inflating it is pointless after you ditch your weights. You'd just pass it on the way up anyway. And I guarantee you that when you break the surface you will have *everyones* attention and you won't need to blow up your blob to make the point.

Secondly blown deco (if this is what you meant) is a very serious matter and the choice you're making can just as easily be a choice between dying from drowning or dying from the hit. Personally I'd put everything into avoiding that.

If you have a usable bottom or you're able to stop the free-fall then you'd be much better off blowing up the dsmb under water, pulling yourself to the surface along the line and *then* dumping your weights. In my opinion (I'm probably going to get jumped on for this) weights should only be dumped once you're on the surface to ensure you don't sink again. Assuming you're not trapped in an overhead the concern should never be not being able to reach the surface, the concern should be how to not sink again once you get there.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom