Legend LX or Apex?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnidae

Reaction score
Well I'm faced with a choice on deciding to get Legends or Apex's. Any advice? I've looked at the guts of the two and see only a couple differences. Since the Legend was designed buy the guys at Apex and Apex is owned by Aqua Lung and I can get the Legends for about half the price I'm leaning that way.

cnidae once bubbled...
Well I'm faced with a choice on deciding to get Legends or Apex's. Any advice? I've looked at the guts of the two and see only a couple differences. Since the Legend was designed buy the guys at Apex and Apex is owned by Aqua Lung and I can get the Legends for about half the price I'm leaning that way.

You really can't go wrong with either. I tested the Legend LX and the Apeks 50. Both were fantastic regulators, but I really liked the venturi on the Legend, so I bought it.
Breathes incredibly well underwater, in all positions, and there wasn't any bubble interference. The Apeks had a little b.i. but it was negligible in the long run.
Yes, you are correct, both are now owned by A.L.

cnidae once bubbled...

My main reg is a legend Lx supreme. My buddy has an ATX200 as do some of the instructors at out club. I've tried them both and my experience is that the LX supreme breathes easier and drier than the atx200. Particularly inverted. The first stages are nearly identical.

R..

...but isn't Apeks a UK company, still owned by Apeks?

Sea-Quest, the US distributor of Apeks regulators, is owned by Aqua-Lung.

Scubaroo, Apex has been owned by Aqua Lung for I think around 2 years or so.

Oops did'nt see that the legend can only be used for up to 40%. Now I'm leaning toward the apex's becuase I'm buying four two for back gas and two for stages.

cnidae once bubbled...
Oops did'nt see that the legend can only be used for up to 40%. Now I'm leaning toward the apex's becuase I'm buying four two for back gas and two for stages.

FYI for those reading...Any of the newer regulators can be used for up to 40% per federal requirements without having to do anything special to them. If you want to use more, than you MUST have them O2 cleaned and serviced.
I think (per my LDS) that the LX can be used for over 40% if it's cleaned...but the intent was that it can be used up to 40% out of the box. It's funny that they advertise the 40%, since it's really a federal regulation and has nothing really to do with the manufacturer.

Great regs, built in UK, but distributed in US by Seaquest/AquaLung now, however, they were distributed by Zeagle up until a few years ago.

I have a Zeagle Tech-50D, equivalent to newer ATX50's, that has been practically bulletproof for almost 5 years in Recreational use. I only wish I had gone with the Apeks regs for my tech kit. In fact, I may just change over if I can find a deal on some ATX-50's.

Anybody wanna buy some lovingly used Beuchat VX-10's? :D

mars2u once bubbled...
FYI for those reading...Any of the newer regulators can be used for up to 40% per federal requirements without having to do anything special to them. If you want to use more, than you MUST have them O2 cleaned and serviced.
I think (per my LDS) that the LX can be used for over 40% if it's cleaned...but the intent was that it can be used up to 40% out of the box. It's funny that they advertise the 40%, since it's really a federal regulation and has nothing really to do with the manufacturer.

What a load of crap....

Why don't you cite the federal reg that sets this criteria. (Bet you can't.)

Also, you can use any reg up to 100% without doing anything special to them. I have and will continue to do this on a regular basis.

mars2u once bubbled...

FYI for those reading...Any of the newer regulators can be used for up to 40% per federal requirements without having to do anything special to them.

Can you please give me the federal requirements for my reference. I have never heard anything of these before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom