Combat Diver Training, The Finnish Way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Found a version of this series on youtube that has English subtitles added. Some of you might enjoy viewing it. The program follows a group of young soldiers through their year-long training to become combat divers for Finnish Navy.

First 3 parts are the pool and fitness season before the diving really starts. I think you should all take the tip about how to avoid diver's runny nose!

YouTube - Combat Divers / Taistelusukeltajat 1/9
YouTube - Combat Divers / Taistelusukeltajat 2/9
YouTube - Combat Divers / Taistelusukeltajat 3/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9sXc87SjI&feature=related
YouTube - Combat Divers / Taistelusukeltajat 5/9
YouTube - Combat Divers / Taistelusukeltajat 6/9
YouTube - Combat Divers / Taistelusukeltajat 7/9
YouTube - Combat Divers / Taistelusukeltajat 8/9
YouTube - Combat Divers / Taistelusukeltajat 9/9

There are 3 additonal parts of deleted scenes that have more of the boys just hanging about but those aren’t subtitled.

FYI. In Finland “Conscripts and career military are eligible to apply for the training. Annually, about 20 conscripts are trained for diving duties. Applying for combat diver training is voluntary. The conscript divers are trained either for anti-mine or for commando operations, while career personnel may also be trained for deep-sea diving duty. All conscript divers receive at least NCO training during their 12-month service period.”

Highly enjoyed watching these videos!
It's just amazing what the human body/mind is capable of!

Thanks for posting the links!

Man, am I glad I decided up electronics repair for my career in the military. I'm too much of a wimp to do that stuff.

Peace,
Greg

FWIW Finland has a mandatory draft for all males.

Figured I would add something I refound on my computer. Kept it to remember my Finnish heritage knowing how hard my family fought and how it affected my mother as a young child.
attachment.php

Attachments

• fdccax.jpg
    fdccax.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 763
What aspect of technical diving do they do?

My bandwidth is limited, so I didnt watch the clips yet.... are they doing mixed-gas stuff?

Most of the military divers I know are on air or O2 rebreathers.... all the 'technical' stuff is surface supplied and surface deco in a chamber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom