New DIR Manuals from GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
This may be a repeat, but since there seems to be a fair amount of interest regarding DIR on this board, I thought it was worth posting --

GUE (Global Underwater Explorers) has recently published its first three "DIR" manuals:

(1) Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving -- introduces DIR concepts to the beginning and advanced open water diver.

(2) Getting It Clear: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving -- provides the foundation for all of GUE's advanced tech diving courses

(3) Beyond the Daylight Zone: The Fundamentals of Cave Diving -- provides the foundation for all of GUE's advanced cave diving courses..

I just received the "fundamentals" manual in the mail last night and although I haven't finished reading through the whole thing yet, at first glance it looks like a great resource for learning about the DIR philosophy, complete with pictures, discussions of techniques, gear configurations, etc., etc. -- very comprehensive and easy to read, and much more efficient than learning about DIR in dribs and drabs on the internet and from other divers.

You can order these manuals direct from GUE on their web site.

Enjoy!

http://www.gue.com/classroom/manuals.shtml

The Fundamentals book is PADI-size format, about 1/3" thick and 150 pages. The cave and technical books are 8.5x11"; the cave book is about 100 pages long and the technical book is about 140 pages. Both the cave and technical books are devoid of pictures but have some tables, so it's a lot of text.

The cave and technical books are delivered softcopy in PDF (Adobe) format so you suck them down onto your computer once you purchase them from GUE. Almost instant gratification!

The Fundamentals book is hardcopy, and is a nicely bound, commercially manufactured book. In size and format it's very much like the Pieces books on dive sites like Cozumel, California, etc.

Roak

Mike,

Check my GUE link above -- it provides exact page counts and a little summary of each book. I think the fundamentals book is actually 176 pages "with over 150 photographs".

You can also read the preface to each book by Jarrod Jablonski on the GUE site.

-LD

I wonder if you can just get the book - I like to pre-read before I take a class...

Anyway - I guess I'm working up to tech1 for starters...

Big T

Got mine in the mail a few days after placing the order.... haven't gotten to read it yet.

Just finished both the cave and tech 1 books. Very good and thorough and easy to understand. They don't give away all the "secrects", so you will have to take the Cave 1 or Tech 1 classes.

In the tech book, the deco section is very easy to read. Very good layout. The cave book is the same.

The fundementals book is excellent for those wanting to learn more about the DIR style.

Overall, A very good job.

Eric:)

I ordered my Tech 1 book from GUE, downloaded it per instructions, and printed it out. So far, so good.

Everything is cool except for pages 119 and 120, Table 10.4 Fill Chart. They are totally black, both on the printed page and in Adobe. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a simple way around it? Should I be reading them under black light? :confused:

My tables look fine on the 'tube.

You might call GUE and ask if they changed anything between when the manual was first available and now (I got mine a couple months ago when they first came out).

Roak

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom