Knots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgraham11

Reaction score
I know that backup lights are connected via a nylon line to boltssnaps, then clipped off on the shoulder D-rings, and held down by a bungee loop around the shoulder strap.

My questions are...

1) How is the nylon line tied to the light? From the pictures I have seen, the line looks like it is tied into a loop with a slip knot, then looped through the hole in the light and then the other end pulled through, then the same is done with the loop in the bolt snap. Is this correct?

2) What type of knot is the bungee tied in to keep it around the shoulder strap (or is it better to use wire ties instead of a knot?).

Thanks, a boyscout I was not ;-)

Make 3-4 passes through each the light and the snap bolt, then tie the ends with a square knot, leave the ends long, turn it over and tie another square knot, heat the ends of the line and mushroom them to keep them from slipping. Cave line works best

Hope this is clear

ID

I use the same process ID has outlined and haven't had them slip yet. I use a square knot for the bungee as well -- you just have to be more careful to make sure the knot is tight.

ID -- the diving mecca of the freeworld would be.......where?

Rick,do you have to explain to your wife why you have bicycle tube instead one of those nifty retractors.My wife looks at my B/P and rolls her eyes.She thinks I am trying to do everything on the cheap.I use'em to hold it to my harness too.I use 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom of the light to keep'em snug.Btween that and the liberal use of aqua-seal I have xactly the configurations that work for me.

One breakaway demo with the .2 cent homemade rubber band vice the $10 retractor makes the point.
And yes, I use automobile innertube rubber bands for hanging stuff off tanks, and large and small bicycle innertube rubber bands all over my gear for retainers and attachment points. I find them to be the perfect combination of security and yet breakable in an emergency for all sorts of applications.
And did I mention they're cheap?
Rick

We buy surgical tubing,bungie cord in various diameters and lots of inner tubes.My last use was a 14" tube cut to 12" long to go over my knees protecting my suit when fossil diving .The current blows up to 3 kts or so on a moving tide.Add that to a limestone bottom and say goodbye to the $200 wetsuit.That and being inside wrecks a lot where tanglies and danglies can mean bad juju.We also hang a lot of stuff off the boat.You can never have to many bungies,clips or bands .It may look cheesy,but I prefer function to form.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom