Female TecRec BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyDoll

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All...

I will be purchasing a new BCD in the next couple of weeks... as all my gear was stolen this past weekend :( How's that for a "Merry Christmas"?!

I plan to buy a Tec style BCD.. ideally something that can take twin 72's or 80's. Or... at least something that can carry an 80 with a 30cu.ft pony. I definitely want integrated weights and steel d-rings.

So far, I've researched (but haven't dove) the following BC's...

Aqualung - Patriot
-Malibu RDS
Oceanic - Probe QLR
Seaquest - PRO QD & PRO Unlimited
-Raider
-Libra
Mares - Ariel
ScubaPro - LadyHawk
- S-Tek Harness

I'd love to hear from people that have dove any of the above BCD's! I'd also like to hear from anyone that has any other BCD recommendations... for a
Tec BCD that would work well for 5'5'' female diver!!!

Thanks so much for your help...
Happy Holiday's everyone...

NavyDoll

I posted this message under the "BCD" thread as well..

Hey All...

I will be purchasing a new BCD in the next couple of weeks... as all my gear was stolen this past weekend :( How's that for a "Merry Christmas"?!

I plan to buy a Tec style BCD.. ideally something that can take twin 72's or 80's. Or... at least something that can carry an 80 with a 30cu.ft pony. I definitely want integrated weights and steel d-rings.

Aqualung - Patriot
-Malibu RDS
Oceanic - Probe QLR
-Raider
-Libra
Mares - Ariel
ScubaPro - LadyHawk
- S-Tek Harness

I'd love to hear from people that have dove any of the above BCD's! I'd also like to hear from anyone that has any other BCD recommendations... for a

NavyDoll

don't know much about womens air cells but if you plan on getting into tecnical diving i would go with something like a softpack that would accomidate doubles and maybe a stage bottle. The softpack would be easier to carry on your back than a harness system . Try zeagle tech pac, or tech. Then look at dive rite trans pac maybe with rec wings. At least that is my advice but like i said i dont know much about womens air cells

If you want a technical BC you need a backplate and wing. If you want a wannabe tech BC, see your list.
Carrying doubles on a recreational BC does not work well. Also, the previous post to use a softpack is nonsense. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

Posters get tired of hearing how great bp&w are, but keep trying to muddle some wannabe thing to work instead of going to something that works. You can tailor the amount of weight you have in the backplate, and total weight with a v-weight, control how the webbing is rigged, and have a very stable platform to boot.

A bp&w doesn't care whether you're male or female as it doesn't make a difference. There are no straps in front other than at the waist, and you have nothing riding on your hips unless you use and addtional weightbelt.

MD

My wife dives the Libra and loves it (I use the Balance) but it is more rec than tec. It will not work with doubles.

If you want a lightweight minimalist but comfortable BC with WI it is great. If you are heading towards doubles etc. my guess is you will get LOTS of advice to get a BP and wing. This time it may well be good advice.

NavyDoll:
Hey All...

Aqualung - Patriot
-Malibu RDS
Oceanic - Probe QLR
-Raider
-Libra
Mares - Ariel
ScubaPro - LadyHawk
- S-Tek Harness

NavyDoll

Backplate with a DUI weight harness and wing. Totally integrated weight. Very comfortable. Totally customizable. If you feel a plate is too long on you FredT makes a short plate for vertically challenged people.

Happy holidays

TwoBit

I think that Ocean Management Systems has a new woman's bc out under the brand name OPMS :)

I'm a 5'4" female diver and I use a BP for my steel 95's in the cave and a Dive Rite Transpac set up for single tanks when I'm not in a cave, or not diving doubles. I use a standard BP as well, not a short one. I went through the 'BC blues', but after going to a BP, I'll never go back to a jacket BC.

As I read the woman's post, I could see she needs help understanding the difference between what tech really is, and what tech-look-alike rec is. As complex as that issue has gotten to be, (hyperoxic trimix is now rec) ... you guys tell her all her choices are wrong, that there's only one alternative .. and give no additional information to explain your reasons. ... Not to mention the lame demeaning pms slur. Most folks here treat such an inquirey a lot friendlier.

The bc's you list are rec bc's ... they have the air cell affixed to the harness ..this limits the flexibility of what you can most efficiently use it for...

Rec style integrated weights usually take up the sides at the waist ... the waist strap needs to be 2" webbing if you want to be able to sling that pony ....

Although several makers advertise wings (air cells) that are supposed to work for both singles and small/medium doubles ..... They invariably do one or the other much better.... You need 2 wings if you want to do singles and doubles .....

While there is a lot to be said in favor of BP's ... there are thousands of divers doing tens of thousands of dives very comfortably in Transpacs (or similar tec softpacs) Untill you are using something more than double al80's, I don't see (personal use speaking) any advantage, stability wise to the BP over the softpac.

You may want to look at the transplate, it's a BP with a more comfortable, easy to adjust on the fly harness. I prefer it over the transpac for larger doubles.

I see you are located in a cold climate, .... with a drysuit, and warm undies, you'll need some major lead ..... probably more than you could put in the integrated pockets of a rec bc, ... something to keep in mind if you "need" intgrtd wgts.

There's a wealth of info here, just keep reading relevant posts and you'll stay on track.

Sympathies on the lost gear,

Darlene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom