How Much to Get Tech Cert'd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
When I get the urge to buy something I only have to open my spreadsheet of scuba costs to tamp down the urge. It cost me about $10K with all the training, gear, and dives included to complete my initial tech training.

Not quite the everyman sport. How about you?

thats very very cheap...you'll blow 1k in He easy in 1 week of training, cylinders and regs 5K, travel 3-6K... then training, time off work. Also remember you'll need about 100-200+ dives on mix and demonstrate solid proficiency before top hypoxic\cave\ccr instructors will feel comfortable accepting to mentor and sign off on you.

Compressors, boosters, ccr, and dive trips are cheaper than cars & drugs so in the long run you are actually coming out ahead. It just depends how you rationalize it...

That's not that much... just my GUE training sets me back about 10K$ (this includes travel, lodging, paying instructor, gas fills, boat, etc)... and I'm only C1,T1,DPV1 trained. Equipment alone is about 26-27K$... and the only fancy stuff I own is 1 suex XK1 scooter. (so no rebreathers or anything like that).... that's a lot of money but that's technical diving for ya...

I can imagine a multitude of other pasttimes which will cost a lot more if you take them very serious, then again running will only set you back 100$ for a pair of sneakers :)

OW 100 Nitrox 100 Adv Nitrox,Deep Air,Tech Nitrox,Tri-Mix 1600 Course fees
4 Scubapro regs,BP/Wings/BT software guages etc 2500
Gasses 1000,instructor had 2 Haskells and a fill station in his garage
Trips run me 300 each and net 2-3 dives each as I own a boat
20 yrs of diving with 10 at 300 to 400 dives per year before I finished all training =priceless
Call it less than 10K over what I would have spent just OW to get there and 80 per dive or so extra when I dive mix.

Cheaper than golf,a mistress or racing.Cheaper than theme parks,ski vacations etc...

Never, ever total up the costs of scuba diving! Just pay it and go have fun diving. If I looked at totals I would be too stressed to dive!

If I looked at totals I would be too stressed to dive!

Or you would need to dive more to get rid of the stress and add to the cost setting the infinite loop in motion...

My T1 class was 1500 bucks, plus maybe another grand for boat helium hotel and whatnots. Tech 2 was a bit more pricey since I went to Italy to do it. 2000 for tuition and everything else was bit
more expensive over there, probably to the tune of 1000-1500 euros.

Easy come easy go, I guess :p I try to not get too wrapped up in the cost. It's an expensive hobby.

Don't even contemplate getting involved with aviation, and I understand anything to do with boat ownership is will suck your bank account dry. Diving is cheap comparatively.

There are far more expensive hobbies than diving. $10,000 would buy you a decent compressor setup though. I have never added up my scuba gear costs, but insure it for over double that.

My boat, that is used for diving, has actually been really cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom