Unbalanced P-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
So I installed my Light Monkey unbalanced p-valve, and I'm going to be diving it for the first time this weekend (thanks for that gasket DRIS). Outside of the expectation of a catastrophic suit flood upon entering the 47F water, I'm wondering how I should dive it. I plan to dive with it open, but am worried about losing the screw. If you have one of these, do you dive with the screw completely out and back in a safe place on the boat or in a pocket, or do you leave it unscrewed some so the valve is open. Or...do you just dive it closed and open it when you need to p?

Thanks,

Mike

prime before descent preferably, leave screw in, unscrew partially when you need to use it, rescrew when done. alternative is to remove screw and put in pocket somewhere, preferably a zippered one

So if I remove the screw while diving, does water come up into the tube? If so, does it flush out any remaining urine I might have put there?

So if I remove the screw while diving, does water come up into the tube? If so, does it flush out any remaining urine I might have put there?
with no screw or an open screw you have to have a catheter hooked up or it will leak into your suit

negative, one way flow. since it is open at one end and closed on the other. Have to keep the bolt in if you aren't using it like said above, so make sure you don't lose it, although the bolts are usually standard threads you can buy at HD or Lowes if you are in a pinch

Leave the screw in and you will undoubtedly forget to loosen on a dive but you will be reminded. :)
I have dove with out it but as stated you will loose it for sure doing this.
It really isn't a big deal to always pipe up.
Always prime the valve pre dive it will ensure all is well.
A kinked hose or cath will ruin a dive fast and can be painful.

JCG

Since it is a gateway to the suit that can allow a large amount of water into the suit, keep it closed. Caths do fail. Open it when you want to use it. I don't forget to unzip my pants before peeing...just saying. As suggested above prime it early on in the dive. If you decide not to dive with a cath on, I would suggest blocking off the inside with a rubber cap of some sort. All it takes is slightly loosening the bolt to create a flood in a matter of seconds.

I would also recommend cutting the end of the cath off so it can't kink as easily. Also learn the term manscape if you haven't already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom