Deco tanks left and right v All left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

declan long

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys

I just wanted to open another discussion on deco tanks left and right v all left, as i am a tdi diver i was tought to use either as long as you have a good reason for it, i use left and right, any thourghts and ideas but please say WHY you do what you do. for me all left is ok but when you dive three deco tanks it seems to trail one creting drag when you can clip to the right side, we teach streamlining and then trail a tank sees crazzy to me. thnaks huys

dec

Open circuit all tanks are on the left. If I must carry more than three tanks, I'll nose clip to the left waist D-ring (though I wouldn't do that anymore, as any dive that requires that much gas is better suited for closed circuit).

On closed circuit I put mixed gas on the left and rich gas on the right.

The reason for the difference is about donation and keeping the right side clear for the long hose. On closed circuit I don't have a long hose wrapped that needs to come off cleanly so I can clutter that side. Some CCR divers I know still prefer to keep the right hand side clear as it makes operating a DPV easier. I haven't found it to be much of a problem.

both sides for me
that way I know which tank i'm breathing

One tank my back. One on the left. One on the right. One in front in the middle.

Like a box.

Have you considered adding one to the rear, clipped to the fins' spring straps?

I use both, but it's usually in sidemount. Stages ride up top, deco rides below. O2 is always bottom on the right. In backmount I'll do deco on right, stages on left but I sidemount all of the tanks so they aren't clipped up to the shoulder D-rings which helps to keep the long hose clear to deploy.

I use both sides and IMO there is no right or wrong. Traditionaly the right side is left open to accomadate DPV backwash. If not scootering this side becomes and option.

I dive a backmounted OC setup. I sidemount my stages and deco cylinders to keep then streamlined. The SM setup opens my chest and work area while increasing the range of arm movement (no restrictions) Slinging cylinders (shoulder & waist drings) IMO is the worst possible setup.

It is also very easy to deploy my long hose even if I have 2 stages on my right. I configure/stack my cyclinders according to need; top to bottom with final gasses close to my body. This enables me to handoff empty cyclinders, or dump bottom/ travel gasses in emergency. I typically carry 3-4 cylinders on most dives.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom