Decompression Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NL1983

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

Hopefully an easy question, but I have read some contradicting things on different forums hence the post.

My girlfriend and I (both PADI Instructors incl. Nitrox and Deep specialty instructor) are thinking of a holiday to French Polynesia to dive the Tiputa pass in Rangiroa and potentially some other area as well. From reading a bit about it, it seems that most diving is done deep 40 meters and sometimes beyond.

We would like to do a decompression course (we do not mind from which company) that will allow us to perform decompression dives up-to 40meters to enjoy the dives longer at that depth. If there is a simple add-on that would allow us to dive to 45 or even 50meters that would be good, but not per se required.

We would really prefer an easy add-on to our current status, rather than do 3 different courses to get our ranks-up.

It seems that TDI requires both advanced nitrox and decompression procedures, although certain website appear to offer decompression procedures as stand-alone without advanced nitrox as per-requisite.

In short, any help and advise is welcome :)...

^^^^^

Hi All,

Hopefully an easy question, but I have read some contradicting things on different forums hence the post.

My girlfriend and I (both PADI Instructors incl. Nitrox and Deep specialty instructor) are thinking of a holiday to French Polynesia to dive the Tiputa pass in Rangiroa and potentially some other area as well. From reading a bit about it, it seems that most diving is done deep 40 meters and sometimes beyond.

We would like to do a decompression course (we do not mind from which company) that will allow us to perform decompression dives up-to 40meters to enjoy the dives longer at that depth. If there is a simple add-on that would allow us to dive to 45 or even 50meters that would be good, but not per se required.

We would really prefer an easy add-on to our current status, rather than do 3 different courses to get our ranks-up.

It seems that TDI requires both advanced nitrox and decompression procedures, although certain website appear to offer decompression procedures as stand-alone without advanced nitrox as per-requisite.

In short, any help and advise is welcome :)...

I did the TDI course, and my instructor (John Chatterton) always teaches AN and Deco together, since they really are inseparable. His course was three days of AM lectures, PM dives. Yes, theoretically you could just do AN and then use O2 to add safety to your no-stop dives, or just do Deco and then do stop dives while decompressing only on back gas. But in practice, I think that they are generally done together, since most deco diving would require the training that both courses provide.

PADI combines AN and deco but breaks it up into Tec 40, Tec 45 and Tec 50. I think that you also have the option of doing it as one course...

As mentioned TDI and PADI allow you to take AN and Deco Procedures together. Consider, however, that you are entering the realm of "technical diving" and as such, there will be a far greater emphasis on dive and gas planning, equipment redundancy, and strictly following and executing your run times and deco schedule. You will find the approach and mindset (and the cost) of this kind of diving quite different to that of "typical" recreational sport diving - which may suit you perfectly and allow you a new found freedom to execute the dives you have in mind.

I only mention this because when I first started getting into tech, I though it was a simple matter of taking a couple of courses in Advanced Nitrox and Deco Proced. and this would allow me to do moderate deco dives in slightly deeper depth ranges... but very much within the same style and approach that I would on a "typical" sport dive. I found this not to be the case and realized that it was completely different than what I'd expected... and also a significant investment in equipment, education, and the dives themselves. Fortunately, I fell in love with it and haven't looked back, however, my brother who was also taking the course realized that it wasn't really for him and upon completion and certification, decided not to pursue further training or engage in tech diving.

So if you're going to do these courses, it's best to have an idea of what it's about and what your expectations are... that way you will be able to make the most of the experience and enjoy yourself.

Best of luck.

... there will be a far greater emphasis on dive and gas planning, equipment redundancy, and strictly following and executing your run times and deco schedule. You will find the approach and mindset (and the cost) of this kind of diving quite different to that of "typical" recreational sport diving - which may suit you perfectly and allow you a new found freedom to execute the dives you have in mind.

I only mention this because when I first started getting into tech, I though it was a simple matter of taking a couple of courses in Advanced Nitrox and Deco Proced. and this would allow me to do moderate deco dives in slightly deeper depth ranges... but very much within the same style and approach that I would on a "typical" sport dive. I found this not to be the case and realized that it was completely different than what I'd expected... and also a significant investment in equipment, education, and the dives themselves. Fortunately, I fell in love with it and haven't looked back.

This is a great post, and spot on. I'm early on into my tech training, but I am coming to realize exactly that - that the math and the science that is the easiest part of the course. It's the mindset, the attention to runtime, and the planning that are really different...

I'm teaching my first TDI adv nitrox and deco course in Sept. As others have said the math and science are the easy part. Its the application that really starts to make a difference. Being able to use higher o2 content mixes for deco can have a huge effect on those dives. The ability to lessen the hang times by doing so is not to be overlooked. Just the amount of back gas you'll not have to use up for deco can make a big difference in the planning for reserves. I've done deco on back gas. Its OK if its warm and no chop. But when I just spent 30 minutes in 36 degree water and am looking at another 45 or whatever on deco with back gas or twenty minutes with two deco mixes the choice is pretty obvious. The TDI adv nitrox/deco procedures course gives you that ability to 150 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom