Big Wings & Little Tanks - What's the Worst That Can Happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm moving to the sub-tropics this weekend, where AL80s seem to be the only doubles available. Right now I have a 60lb lift wing, which I know is overkill, but seeing as I might be moving back to the States in just a year I'm hesitant to buy a smaller wing in the meantime since I probably won't use it much after.

Will the extra size really be a big deal?

It'll be fine. Its a little big but not the end of the world.

Now, a 60lb wing with a single al80 is a horse of a different color.

Yeah -- you just might have to move a bit more out of trim to vent effectively.

Whew, I thought it said a single AL80.....ya, double 80's and a 60# should be manageable.

Seems like the are plenty of used 40 lbs wings on the boards for sale. Imagine it would be easier to take one with you than to buy and ship after the move. You could then sell that 60 lbs wing to recoup part, or all, of the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A 60# wing is functional, but certainly not ideal. Biggest problem will be at the start of the dive when you need the most air in it. Its going to wrap slightly and make you feel like you're on a teeter-totter.

Agree about buying a smaller used wing and selling the 60#er to recoup the cost.

If air gets lop-sided in the wing, it can be difficult to gracefully shift small amounts of air from one side of the wing to the other. The larger the mis-match, the more difficult it is to adjust your roll trim.

When I did GUE-F the instructor put me in twin AL80s with a 60# wing. When I tried to roll to shift air from one side to the other, the wing was wrapped so far around the tanks that it tended to trap all of the air until the last second, and then it would dump all of the air to the other side at once. It was all or nothing. What a PITA.

Last edited:
I never had any major issues when diving dub80's and a big wing. Is a smaller wing better suited for the job? Probably.

Wings aren't horribly expensive, so my advise would be to buy a smaller wing for the time being...hogs are inexpensive, and used wings are a dime a dozen on this board.

If I were *moving* to subtropics I would want the right tool for the job. The 60lb will work but it's not optimal. Like others have said, I'd get a used 40lb wing.

If I were *moving* to subtropics I would want the right tool for the job. The 60lb will work but it's not optimal. Like others have said, I'd get a used 40lb wing.
I agree with Kate here. I've dove Al80's with a 60lb wing and it was miserable. Diving is supposed to be fun, go find a $200 or less 40lb wing and make life easier on yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom