pushing the limits part2: world dive record 350m in 2 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What do you think about this:
H2O Divers Dahab | DIVE WORLD RECORD

I will follow this attempt of course, but just as interest about if they will pass or fail and maybe about their diveplan, safetydivers, etc. In my eyes it is too deep, too dangerous, so nothing for me to try, but I hope the diver will surface safely, with or without the new record.

I side that pascal went deeper than Nuno (330m) but still 350m is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pascal Bernabe has been deeper, but that was not an official record.

But I believe all divers that went deeper than 300m had severe problems after the dive. I am not afraid of depth, but there is a big difference between 100m, 130m, 150m, or a 350m. But ok, I will never be recordholder of such deep dives then, and I don't mind. I am curious about how they calculate anydecoschem for such dives.

These things always strike me as more than a little foolish. So you bounced to 350m? So what? What did you see during the dive?
Go to 350m and explore a wreck that's been lying there for 500 years. Now THAT would be cool! But bounce? Piffle.

These things always strike me as more than a little foolish. So you bounced to 350m? So what? What did you see during the dive?
Go to 350m and explore a wreck that's been lying there for 500 years. Now THAT would be cool! But bounce? Piffle.

Bounce dives are how we START exploring. How long ago was it that 100m dives were record-setting bounce-dives? How much later were divers doing 100m dives frequently, successfully, and with some decent bottom times? Same with 150m. Same with 200m. It takes some bounce dive records before you can start exploring down there. Did you want the first 350m dive to have a 30 minute bottom time?

Studying what happens to the diver as he comes up, in a real-world diving scenario, in the water, with real world stresses.......these are scenarios that can't be accurately replicated in a chamber. It's exciting because it's pushing the limits of our understanding. Sure, part of it is a record driving an ego.....but part of THAT is how you get sponsors and support to do a 300m dive. If he has to do 350m to get the money and support, then so be it!

I'd love to see the run list he's printing out for this dive. I'd also love to see the support diver schedule and mixes for everyone involved. I think the logistics of this dive are FASCINATING.

....Did you want the first 350m dive to have a 30 minute bottom time?....

Subsea 7 or any other commercial diving company would laugh at this. Those guys would ask "Why?" This is a self-created record. "Deepest dive on dive gear not designed to be used at that depth" record. Do it again with one fin and you can grab another record. Do it on air, another record! Go climb Mt Everest in board shorts and a tank top, sure that is a record, too. But to each his own, go have fun, but don't boast it as a "record".

Bounce dives are how we START exploring. How long ago was it that 100m dives were record-setting bounce-dives? How much later were divers doing 100m dives frequently, successfully, and with some decent bottom times? Same with 150m. Same with 200m. It takes some bounce dive records before you can start exploring down there. Did you want the first 350m dive to have a 30 minute bottom time?

Studying what happens to the diver as he comes up, in a real-world diving scenario, in the water, with real world stresses.......these are scenarios that can't be accurately replicated in a chamber. It's exciting because it's pushing the limits of our understanding. Sure, part of it is a record driving an ego.....but part of THAT is how you get sponsors and support to do a 300m dive. If he has to do 350m to get the money and support, then so be it!

I'd love to see the run list he's printing out for this dive. I'd also love to see the support diver schedule and mixes for everyone involved. I think the logistics of this dive are FASCINATING.

A little Wiki for you...
The diving depth record for off shore diving was achieved in 1988 by a team of professional divers (Th. Arnold, S. Icart, J.G. Marcel Auda, R. Peilho, P. Raude, L. Schneider) of the Comex S.A. industrial deep-sea diving company performing pipe line connection exercises at a depth of 534 meters of sea water (msw) (1752 fsw) in the Mediterranean Sea during a record scientific dive

Now the above is impressive. And will provide FAR more useful information for future divers than a bounce. I remain unimpressed by a 350m ego bounce.

Dirty-Dog and jaidirii......I know there are commercial, Saturation divers doing a whole lot more than 350m on OC in a purely "recreational" setting (as opposed to commercial or military).

jaidirii, this isn't a stupid record. It's the deepest dive on Open Circuit. It's the deepest non-saturation dive. It's drastically different than decompressing over two weeks in a dry chamber with TV and internet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom