Minimum training standard to start with a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
What does the community consider the minimum level of training and experience before a diver should consider getting trained on a rebreather.

Are there any set standards? In not why not?

Can you be a recreational rebreather diver? :confused:

For a serious answer, SSI allows OW students to train on a Poseidon Mk IV. I do not allow this on my dive op, I require a minimum of 25 hours on the unit before you come to me with it. This is considered a recreational closed circuit rebreather. It now has a tech option, but why not buy a real rebreather?

I have over 6,000 dives and a trimix cert. I will take CCR training this winter.

As far as what I believe minimum standards should be? I think you should have a minimum of 500 dives and rescue certs. 500 dives to avoid the "20 minute 8 dive a day dives so I can get my instructor" type of dives, and rescue so that you have at least learned something in your diving career, cause AOW certainly doesn't mean squat.

In practice, it depends on how comfortable/competent you are in the water and how technically inclined you are. I know people who have been diving over a decade that are far too likely to panic because they are crappy swimmers and technically challenged. On the other hand, I have met a few people who are more than capable of mastering rebreathers after a month of active diving and trained by a great instructor.

The old adage holds true here. If you have to ask you aren’t ready.

What does the community consider the minimum level of training and experience before a diver should consider getting trained on a rebreather.

Are there any set standards? In not why not?

Can you be a recreational rebreather diver? :confused:
If you are an Astronaut, then the complexity and danger level should be minimal for you.
If you are a recreational diver, that could do all the dives you like with open circuit, and you are thinking you need a rebreather, I'd blame that on a ridiculous amount of irresponsible advertising, and suggest emotional counseling :)

I dive the explorer as a rec rb.
Padi req 30 dives and aow.
It suits me just fine.
Got it end of July, and have 12 hours on it already. Good considering I live in the middle of canada.

IMO the quicker the better. If you consider diving a breather, start ASAP.

IMO the quicker the better. If you consider diving a breather, start ASAP.

I do not agree with you on that point. You should be fairly experienced in Open circuit before going down the CCR road. Maybe not to the level of OC trimix ('cause mix is too expensive in OC), but at least advanced nitrox/deco procedure and the reason is very simple:

When the sh*t hit the fan, you'll revert to OC. So your OC skillz must be fine tuned to avoid panic and other bad thing happening to you.

In my case, I started CCR last winter after 3 years of technical OC diving and some dabbeling with trimix. The thought of knowing that my OC skills are there to back me up in case of bailing out of CCR in a dive, is a stress relief.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom