How much for TDI Solo Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CptTightPants21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How much does the typical TDI Solo Cert cost? I recently called up two shops and got quotes of $300 and $500. $300 seems reasonable to me, but $500 seems like a bridge too far.

What did your certification cost and do you think there is anything in the class that can justify the $200 price difference/make it worth taking the $500 class?

Solo is an SDI cert. it's important because it's meant for recreational diving, not tech diving. I charge $100 over what SDI charges for the online portion. Course, you have to buy a liveaboard trip to take the class.....

I think the value piece depends on where you are as a diver. If you've done your due diligence with research, practice, and redundancy, you may not get a ton out of it. If you've never done a solo dive and never thought about what it would take to do one safely, you'll probably get a lot out of it if you have a decent instructor.

Mine was part of a package deal so I don't know how much it cost. I'd lean toward the $300 amount or less though.

Thank you. I have already done a lot reading and planning into doing solo, I tested out different pony configurations and sizes, etc. If anything the course would be a refinement of skills and procedures and "make it legal" at Dutch.

I charge $450 and the course is run over four to five days... I do not believe that price is excessive. And in fact it seems to me that paying $300 for a four-day program is way to little. Oh, and putting the program together in less than four days is possible, but I am not able to do so.

For a 4 or 5 day course, absolutely not. But these are basically 1 day of lectures, 1 day of diving.

What do you do/cover in addition to the minimum requirements that makes it a 4-5 days course?

Many have said I could teach a solo course since I've been diving solo since the early 1960s. However, I have yet to take a real solo certification. I research operators in locations I plan to dive very carefully so I will be allowed to dive my dive. I don't mind buddying up, especially at destinations and dive sites I've never dived but being an underwater imager I really prefer to be byt myself in part so I'm not distracted and in part out of respect for a potential dive buddy who may wish to explore further.

With respect to your specific question though, I don't think $500 is necessarily too high for a 4-5 day course especially if there are only a few divers in the certification class and it is well taught and comprehensive.

For a 4 or 5 day course, absolutely not. But these are basically 1 day of lectures, 1 day of diving.

What do you do/cover in addition to the minimum requirements that makes it a 4-5 days course?

Read the SDI book... I wrote it. That's what I teach, essentially. I may not be the fastest or most efficient instructor, but experience tells me that it takes an average student several tries to get things squared away; especially several compound "what ifs" happening at once... or at least following closely one behind the other. In my opinion, the program was never intended to be a weekend specialty. However, that's just my take on it.

Are dives included in the cost? In my case the lecture parts were 2 or 3 evenings. I forgot which. Then for the dives we did them in the ocean from a boat since that was the more interesting diving that I did.

In my case the instructor was also a tech instructor, friend, dive buddy, and we have had numerous dive discussions over the years. He does not hesitate to point things out to me and I do not hesitate to listen. So I cannot always separate what I learned in class from what I learned out of class. But, bottom line, I found the course worthwhile. I know that there are some things I do now, that I knew before, but did not actually do. Think it made me a safer all around diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom