PST Tanks...Still Worth Buying???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a set of PST HP130s from a buddy for a good price, but after doing some Internet research I have some reservations related to hydros.

My first reservation is the "special" process for doing hydros of hot-dip galvanized tanks. If the round out procedures are not done, and if the tech doesn't adhere to the 3/2 overpressure test vs. the 5/3 (through ignorance or otherwise) it seems there is a decent chance the tanks will fail hydro. This is mainly a concern because I move around a lot and may have limited options when getting these tanks hydro'd.

My second concern also relates to hydro, but is based on the 9791 special permit expiring in Jan of 2015. Since PST hasn't made tanks for a long time, I'm worried that they won't request to renew the special permit with the DOT. It's my understanding that if they don't, the tanks are not DOT approved and won't be hydro'd. I've read there is a process to allow individual owners to request an extended permit for their tanks, but I'm not super interested in the ass pain of doing that.

My alternative is to buy some Faber 108s, but they don't have as good of buoyancy characteristics as the PSTs.

What are your thoughts?

I just got my ~15yr old PST 104s back from hydro and got the coveted + symbol.

When I saw that symbol on the tanks, it was like when the teacher put a gold star on my test, only better because this is carved in steel. :cool2:

I have an opportunity to buy a set of PST HP130s from a buddy for a good price, but after doing some Internet research I have some reservations related to hydros.

My first reservation is the "special" process for doing hydros of hot-dip galvanized tanks. If the round out procedures are not done, and if the tech doesn't adhere to the 3/2 overpressure test vs. the 5/3 (through ignorance or otherwise) it seems there is a decent chance the tanks will fail hydro. This is mainly a concern because I move around a lot and may have limited options when getting these tanks hydro'd.

My second concern also relates to hydro, but is based on the 9791 special permit expiring in Jan of 2015. Since PST hasn't made tanks for a long time, I'm worried that they won't request to renew the special permit with the DOT. It's my understanding that if they don't, the tanks are not DOT approved and won't be hydro'd. I've read there is a process to allow individual owners to request an extended permit for their tanks, but I'm not super interested in the ass pain of doing that.

My alternative is to buy some Faber 108s, but they don't have as good of buoyancy characteristics as the PSTs.

What are your thoughts?

Michael Guerrero,

A couple of weeks ago I had my PST HP80's (3,500 psig, both manufactured in 1988) hydroed. I bought them new in 1988, special-ordered. I believe mine are the first "Sherwood Genesis HP cylinders" sold in this area (central Missouri). I lived near the Great Lakes for several years, and there my HP80's saw some "generous" fills routinely.

As before, my HP80's passed hydro, no problem. No questions were asked, no issue was raised, so far as I'm aware, even though my sense is there aren't many PST HP tanks around here.

EDIT: One thing, though: I don't think (actually, I can't recall whether) my HP80's are TC-approved. You might check the ones you're considering. If you travel to dive in Canada, this will be an issue if they aren't!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Is the exemption going to be renewed?

I have and use PST cylinders from 1970. If you don't want them. Let me know. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO..yes..PST tanks are ALWAYS worth buying. The SE is no big deal....PROVIDED your hydro shop has ACTUAL hydro knowledge....lol. The procedure is really very simple...they simply have to pump the tank to 90% of hydro pressure and calibrate BEFORE...they do the actual hydro. It's that simple...It's often referred to as a "roundout".
I have the PST Technical Bullitin 100..which is the instructions for the "round out" procedure prior to hydro for the hydro shop. Let me know if you need a copy....I'll email it to ya. Print it out and take it in with the tank.

As far as the SP renewal...I wouldn't sweat it. There are 10's of thousands of PST tanks still living..SOMEONE..WILL pick it up.

Bubs

One thing, though: I don't think (actually, I can't recall whether) my HP80's are TC-approved. You might check the ones you're considering. If you travel to dive in Canada, this will be an issue if they aren't!

I just checked: Neither my PST HP 80's (3,500 psig; manufactured in 1988) nor my PST HP 120's (3,500 psig; manufactured in 1997) wear a TC stamp.

Now I remember: I had always wanted to dive Tobermory, on Ontario, Canada's Bruce Peninsula—a "short" drive from my old home in southeast Michigan. However, one of my concerns was whether or not my HP 120's would be filled there since they don't wear a TC stamp. (One of my great regrets is, I never dove Tobermory before I left Michigan!)

Hopefully the PST HP 130's you're considering were manufactured more recently and wear the TC stamp.

EDIT: Oh, and I've just noticed that my HP 120's have recently gone out of hydro. (I haven't dove them in quite a while, these days preferring to use my old-school steel 72 (2,250 + 10% psig; manufactured by PST in 1970) for the relatively shallow, solo dives I do these days.) So, I'll be putting these in for a new hydro as soon as I can find the time.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Thanks rx. I don't know the date on the 130s, need to look next time I dive with the guy who owns them. I actually know the original owner and talked to him tonight about them. Gave me more of a warm fuzzy and he's checking into a couple things for me.

Mike

IMO..yes..PST tanks are ALWAYS worth buying. The SE is no big deal....PROVIDED your hydro shop has ACTUAL hydro knowledge....lol. The procedure is really very simple...they simply have to pump the tank to 90% of hydro pressure and calibrate BEFORE...they do the actual hydro. It's that simple...It's often referred to as a "roundout".
I have the PST Technical Bullitin 100..which is the instructions for the "round out" procedure prior to hydro for the hydro shop. Let me know if you need a copy....I'll email it to ya. Print it out and take it in with the tank.

As far as the SP renewal...I wouldn't sweat it. There are 10's of thousands of PST tanks still living..SOMEONE..WILL pick it up.

Bubs

Bubs, you always calibrate BEFORE you do the actual testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom