BC not fitting well.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedgehog47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm not a technical diver. No yet anyway. However I enjoy using a harness/wing style BC because its just less "stuff" and Generally have more areas to hook things up and are more adjustable.

I have a diverite transpac with a diverite venture wing. The belt is XS/S and the shoulder straps are L/XL. This BC has dual tank straps. I have made a thread in the past and contacted Diverite regarding the tank sliding up and preventing me from leaning my head back without hitting the reg. I have adjusted the reg so all hoses are out of the way, but I'm hitting the reg itself.

I do use the crotch strap and don't have the shoulder straps too tight. I noticed I can slide the lower attachment point on the shoulder straps more towards the front of the harness, it's extremely difficult to get the nylon worked through there, but im wondering what affect it will have if I am able to get them to move forward.

I find even with the crotch strap snug the entire harness tends to still pitch foward, the shoulder straps going down and the rear of the BC going up.

I'm five foot eight and 165 pounds, if that helps.

Attachments

• bubbles.jpg
    bubbles.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 348
Can't speak directly to your questions about shoulder strap settings and your balance in-water, but . . .

I have an old transpac (ten years old) with double tank bands and swappable wings.
I have to mount it high enough on the tank so that the upper tank band is slightly onto the crown (curved top) of the tank, in order to get the first stage low enough. That upper band can actually come loose that way, but it's not a problem because the lower band is still secure.
Also, I use a din first stage. If I used a yoke regset I'm pretty sure I'd be knocking my head against it too.
I removed all the unnecessary padding (back, shoulders) leaving just the webbing. And I use a weight belt instead of the floppy mountable weight pockets that they sold at the time. Maybe that would make a difference for you.

PS. For better balance when floating on the surface, don't put too much air into the wing, and don't use a larger wing than you need. Also, get your legs out in front of you and imagine you're resting in your barcalounger/layzboy/chaise.

PPS. And can you lose any of the weight you're using? Have you done a weight check recently? Also, going to a steel tank (can't tell what you have from the photo) makes everything about trim and balance easier.

Thanks, I've been trying that method with my upper tank strap also. I have aluminum tanks. I have no problems on the surface. I do have the weight pockets that flop around if I go upside down. I ordered xs scuba weight pockets and will use those instead. I use what I think is a standard size wing.

Not sure if you've tried the following technique, if not it might help: rather than securing chest straps and waist buckle while sitting down, try sliding into the harness, stand up (allowing the tank to slide lower along your back to its natural resting position and then secure buckles and straps. Most of the times, when doing up the the buckles and straps while sitting, the tank ends up higher than where it should rest and doing the straps will not allow it to slide lower when you stand up.

Not a guaranteed solution but maybe worth a try...

Thanks mastercheif, that's actually what I do, I secure it once the tank is attached and I am standing up. It seems the entire assembly slides in a circle around my body, despite the crotch strap.

While it may be an obvious suggestion, you can rotate the 1st-stage to a lower profile position, this is especially helpful if you dive, for example, a 'tall' piston 1st-stage, you can lower the reg profile approx 2"-3".

While it may be an obvious suggestion, you can rotate the 1st-stage to a lower profile position, this is especially helpful if you dive, for example, a 'tall' piston 1st-stage, you can lower the reg profile approx 2"-3".

I have done that, I have the atomic b2 regulator and it's pointed down and out of the way as much as possible.

Thanks mastercheif, that's actually what I do, I secure it once the tank is attached and I am standing up. It seems the entire assembly slides in a circle around my body, despite the crotch strap.

Something is wrong, I also dive a Transpac/crotch strap (with Oxycheq Extreme 40 lbs wing), and have mine 'skin tight', no wiggle/no rotation/no slack/no slop...as one with my body, so to speak. While your's doesn't have to be quite as snug/secure as I prefer, you should be able to get everything as tight/secure as you wish. And I have no issues with head bonking on 1st-stages, I'm same height and weight (175 lbs) as you, I dive an assortment of tanks (AL 80's, HP 100/120/130, LP 104/85) as singles. (also have 2 sets of doubles but haven't dove those in years)

BTW, I always wear at least a 2 mm tropical beenie (even in the tropics) for thermal protection, it has the added benefit of acting as a cushion for your head.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I started realizing I'm arching my back excessively sometimes when I'm diving, which pretty much puts the tank into the back of my head regardless. So I've worked on my posture.

hedgehog, I did notice that in the picture you have your line clipped to your BC. Although I do not know where you were diving I would be concerned to have the line clipped to you. Certainly should a boat catch the line it might make for a less than interesting ascent with you potentially being trailed behind.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom