Pre tech education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Young33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,
I just have a question regarding what type of classroom education I should have before starting my tech training, and what is considered extraneous. I plan to start my tech classes this summer. My instructor does his tech through PADI, so it would be tech 40. Now, about me. I am a second semester BSN nursing student(and a NR-EMT), and in addition to my A&P classes I have studied the respiratory and circulatory system on my own time and I would say I have a better grasp on the subject than most OW divers. I am also currently reading steve lewis's wonderful book: the six skills and other discussions(not that it seems to delve into complex physiology, a great book none the less). Now, this summer on a lull from school, and all the heavy readying/studying, I hope to start some of weinke's heavier material. So, my question is: is knowing this stuff down to a molecular level "majoring in the minors", and too much not needed information to dive safely and knowledgable in the realm of technical diving?
Thanks guys
-Dillon

I took the PADI Tec 40 last summer.

The PADI manual does not go into a lot of theory.

Tec 40 is mostly a skills and mind set development course.

While having a lot of theory is not a bad thing at all, cramming my head with lots of extra information may not be necessary until advancing to a very high level of technical diving.

I will recommend “Deco for Divers” in addition to the book you are already reading.

similar to what Ken said, most of what you're going to be learning, especially through PADI is unfortunately far from the theory of how and why this stuff works, says a lot that they are discontinuing tables in nitrox and regular OW courses. Your instructor may or may not go through it all but the jist of what you need to know is in the manual. Anything else you'll want to take a full AN/DP course similar to IANTD's

Thanks for the quick reply guys!
Ken, Deco for divers is on my list as well. I heard that that is less intensive into the hard formulas and stuff. If thats the truth Ill probably pick it up before this semester is over.

Tbone, is PADI seriously discontinuing tables in OW/nitrox? what, if divers are learning without computers will they have to take something ridiculous like a "tables" class? Also, would you recommend doing my tech classes as I intend, and depending on how much my instructors goes into theory purchasing the TDI AN/decompression procedures manuals in addition to my other readings?

Hello all,
I just have a question regarding what type of classroom education I should have before starting my tech training, and what is considered extraneous. I plan to start my tech classes this summer. . . . .
Thanks guys
-Dillon

I highly recommend "Deco for Divers", a discussion of the theory and physiology of decompression. It is available at

Deco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology: Amazon.co.uk: Mark Powell: 9781905492077: Books

If you read, study, and really understand what Mark Powell is saying, you will be leaps and bounds ahead of the pack. Good luck.

All good recommendations, that's great for the theory side (for my ANDI tech course, I had to write papers on three different deco theories and discuss the merits and drawbacks to each). Have you been able to get in water practice? Buoyancy, ascent techniques, laying/retrieving line, valve drills and bottle handling? Those will help build familiarity when your mask goes bye bye, you lose your deco gas and your buddy is out of back gas......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took rec trimix. things i thought were needed to take it were

working knoledge of nitrox calculation and theory of EAD for determining correct gas for dive.
buoyancy for depth control (ascent)
computer use to quickly and correctly do gas changes
basic deco to know why you need the prior 3
dexterity to sling a deco bottle to maintain bouyancy and to do a physical gas change.
ability to with skill shoot a bouy and hang.

Last edited:
Tbone, is PADI seriously discontinuing tables in OW/nitrox? what, if divers are learning without computers will they have to take something ridiculous like a "tables" class?

The reality is that everyone uses a computer these days. Nobody is diving square profiles, and those who are do it by choice vice out of nessecity.

Tech divers rarely use tables, however most use one of many programs to create custom "dive schedules". They are not however hard tables. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between.

As far as how you plan to go about getting your tech training, do your thing dude.

Read Mark's book.

Consider a course like TDI Intro To Tech before buying kit. This will give you a head start on in the water skills, kit config and what you do and do not like. It is not a pass/fail course - it is all about general learning and improvement.

Get happy doing shallow, non deco dives with a twinset.

Do an appropriate deco course. TDI's Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures (Helitrox) was good when I did it. You know you have learned stuff by the end.

Take your time. Have fun.

it is true, those that want to use tables take the padi tables course, it's the same course, just tables based instead of computer based, but yes, they are largely going to computer based diving. It's not necessarily a bad thing for recreational use, I disagree with it, but the reality is most don't use tables. The important thing is in tech diving you have to understand how they work to plan dives properly.

If you like your instructor and you feel that you got what you wanted out of it then there is no harm staying with PADI. They are not a training agency anymore, they are a publishing company, and unlike their reputation as a training agency, they publish some of the best diving literature in the industry.

If you are really into the theory and physiology behind it, see if you can find a copy of the NOAA diving manual.
NOAA Diving Manual: 9781930536630: Reference Books @ Amazon.com
Haven't seen the 5th edition, but own the 4th and it is a wonderful diving reference if you are interested in the physiology.

Unfortunately at the tec40 level, most of what is happening is the transition from recreational to technical, so it mostly focuses on how to break all of the bad habits and ****ty skills that you were taught in open water, and attempt to make you look like a good efficient diver, much less on the theory behind what is going on in true decompression diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom