Advice on TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crabtree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello folks, I'm considering doing the TDI ANDP (Adv Nitrox + Deco Procedure)

First, seeking advice on the appropriateness. I am an recreational diver who used to live in Oz (Australia) but have relocated to Taiwan. I had the opportunity to do the TDI Sidemount course when I went home to Oz in Oct 2013. However since then, I've only logged 8 dives, four of which was 9 months ago. I am making another trip back to Oz in April and am thinking of doing my ANDP at this time.

In terms of experience with sidemount I know this is far from ideal. However, I only make a trip back to Oz once every 18 to 24 months thus I really would like to take the ANDP this time around. So far I have not found any English speaking TDI instructor in Taiwan thus the emphasis of doing this in Oz.

The second question I am seeking advice on is the duration of the course. I know that normally Advance Nitrox by itself is 3 days, and Deco Procedures by itself is 3 days, whereas the combined ANDP is 4 days / 6 dives in total. The LDS I did my TDI Sidemount with said they they normally do it in 4 but as they can only get an instructor the 3 days over Easter, not 4, the ANDP will be done in 3 days. The LDS said this is not an issue as because the lengthy classroom sessions that normally takes place can be done my myself at home before the course (elearning i believe).

I can understand the elearning part, but I am still concerned about shortening the course by 1 full day, after all, it means I have less time to digest, think though what I learnt during the day and ask questions.

Will this be an issue?

And one last question, I am told that the AUD$999 course fee includes TDI elearning codes only and that if I wanted the printed manual it's an extra $49 for adv nitrox and $59 for deco procedure. Is this it how it works these days?

Many thanks in advance for your input/advice. Cheers.

Doing ANDP in 3d, even with classroom rather than eLearning, is entirely possible....so long as the logistics of the actual dives are not too overwhelming. You only need two dives below 100 ft, and typically only the very last dive is a real deco dive, so huge surface intervals and long dives are not needed. If you do eLearning (which is convenient and saves a lot of time), the manuals are indeed optional, and perhaps not necessary since you maintain access to the on-line material.

(added) The costing is up to the shop; there is no "MRSP".

FWIW, the shop is offering you a very good deal on the manuals, and on the courses overall...

And I agree with Tursiops, three days should see you through the in-water stuff without being rushed. What you might want to do is get some dives in beforehand, though, so you're not getting used to your kit again at the same time as learning new stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Crabtree,

I highly recommend to buy the books...since your diving might continue to be sporadic they will make great reference manuals you could keep reviewing when not actively diving.

Have fun with the course.

Made advanced nitrox with another training agency: IANTD. Just a basic question: why are there 2 course: one foe advanced nitrox and a second one for deco procedures. For me Advanced nitrox is deeling with deco procedures, using Nitrox levels higher than 50% in a deco cylindre. For me it was 2 evenings of classes, one full day in a pool for skills and 6 dives in open water.

Freewillow - that's just the way TDI sets up their courses. Different agencies use different course arrangements.

Freewillow, MB is correct. If you lay out the courses offered and the training goals of 4 or 5 agencies, you will find almost the exact same progression but modeled in different ways.
Iantd has adv nitrox, tdi has advanced nitrox and deco procedures, NAUI has deco procedures, padi has tec40/45...all with the same outcome.
Beyond those courses you have deep air options with some agencies such as technical diver for iantd and extended range for TDI. Following that pretty much everybody is on the same page with trimix and advanced trimix(also called extreme exposure, hypoxic trimix, etc).

The point is that minus a few training philosophies, pretty much everyone has the same courses with different names.

I would agree with all the foregoing. Just add a couple of extra thoughts. I did AN and DP together many years ago with no intention of getting into tec - just to expand my skills and knowledge, and I thought it was excellent value in terms of doing that. As it happens, I did end up going a bit deeper into tec later (although never super deep), but for my class it was about 50/50. Good course (if taught well), good skills, and hopefully you'll have a good time whilst learning useful stuff.

Thanks heaps everyone for your replies - I feel a lot more comfortable and will be going ahead with the course.

Will definitely buy the printed manuals and try to get do a few more dives to refresh my sidemount skills.

Cheers everyone.

I know IANTD Adv Nitrox have various prerequisites like dive count and that the diver history (logbook) should illustrate the NEED to go deeper or longer. Are you there yet? I ask because you dive only few times a year. Just an opservastion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom