How different are tec courses agency to agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone: I am trying to understand how procedures and protocols of Tech diving vary from agency to agency. Am I correct to understand that TDI trains each tech diver to be self reliant during the dive while DIR agencies over emphasize buddy/team skills because your emergency gas is carried by someone else and buddy separation is not an option? Can anyone please explain these differences?

Thanks -

CS

Capt Sinbad

Really it is more methodology then skills. even a self reliant diver can be instructed with team concepts in mind. DIR is not a agency its a concept (holistic if you will) TDI vs GUE vs IANTD vs ANDI etc are agencies.

There are no secret scuba skills even at Tech levels just secret handshakes

Hi everyone: I am trying to understand how procedures and protocols of Tech diving vary from agency to agency. Am I correct to understand that TDI trains each tech diver to be self reliant during the dive while DIR agencies over emphasize buddy/team skills because your emergency gas is carried by someone else and buddy separation is not an option? Can anyone please explain these differences?

Thanks -

CS

If you want more discussion you should probably take the bias out of your statements. This may not have been your intention but using words like "over" make your posting sound prejudicial to the second agency.
Try moving the word "over" from your statement about DIR to the one about TDI. It reads a bit differently when you use words as you did.

Ex: " that TDI trains each tech diver to be over self reliant during the dive"

Last edited:

Thanks -

CS

So you are saying TDI doesn't teach the team concept? Or team gas reserves even?

Thanks -

CS
this is 100% incorrect
there are huge differences between most agencies and GUE with regards to tech classes. but this is not one of them. whoever told you this was misinformed

As an instructor for several agency's, there aren't really any fundamental differences but slight differences in course standards. It's very easy to compare standards, just search the course standards on the inter web. The only notable difference I've observed is the use of rote learning vs application learning, but this again can be instructor focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had to calculate team gas in tdi advanced wreck. Ive been in the padi tec world, none of the course material had us calculate team gas planning to the detail that the tdi advanced wreck material does. Same instructor, different agency certs, he did cover more comprehensive gas planning in the padi tec courses than the padi material provided.

Hi everyone: I am trying to understand how procedures and protocols of Tech diving vary from agency to agency. . . .

Good luck. I don't think anyone can really address this in an unbiased way unless they have sampled courses from various agencies and not gravitated toward any one. I've pondered this question myself, and I came to the conclusion that the best approach (for me) would be to pick a good instructor affiliated with whatever major agency and run with it. THEN, if I really want to expand my horizons and try to understand the nuances of how things differ from agency to agency, I can take additional courses from other agencies. Mix it up, so to speak, and then draw my own conclusion.

The main difference that I can see is the philosophy underling their training (GUE). They do stress team cohesiveness, to include gear choices. Depending on your outlook you will love it or not. If you prefer to dive solo it may not be for you. Their Tech training falls within the guidelines just like everyone else. Take a look at the following thread about GUE training and it should give you a good idea if it something you want to try out.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/di...ly-overstaffed-fundies-class-ever-taught.html

disclaimer: I do not subscribe to their philosophy, but I can not find anything wrong or weak in their training from anything I have seen on SB or their website.

With the obvious exception of GUE, find an instructor you work well with, tell him how you want to dive & what you want to learn. A great instructor will teach you what you want to know & how you want to dive, and how to do so safely.

For example, when I took my basic nitrox class, my instructor taught me essentially the advanced nitrox course; all the math, etc. that I would need to learn later. I am less concerned with that name on the top of the card, I'm much more concerned with the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom