Understanding The USE OF DOUBLES??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Thomas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know why but I am having a hard time trying to understand doubles. Is the use of doubles strictly for wreck diving?
Is it because God forbid you get lost?
Is it so they can stay down longer?
But then wouldn't they have to deco.

I'm sorry if its a dumb question.
Just looking for someone to explain it in basic terms.

Doubles are typically (but not exclusively) used for technical diving where mandatory decompression is intended. Typical uses are in deep diving (past 130), cave diving, and wreck diving. Some of us just like long shallow dives.

Doubles give you more gas to play with, and also allow you to shut off gas flow to a regulator if it malfunctions while still allowing you access to the gas in your tanks through your other regulator.

There are several reasons to wear doubles. For some, it's to provide gas for longer duration and/or deeper dives. And yes, this can and will result in a decompression obligation, which with proper knowledge is a perfectly acceptable requirement.

Others wear doubles because of the increased safety they provide... two regulators, two valves, two separate gas supplies (assuming an isolation manifold is used). This is the main reason I wear them diving up north. I dive alone frequently, and even when I don't, my buddies tend to follow the "same lake/same day" buddy system. The water is very cold here, so reg freeze-up is always a possibility, so having the ability to shut down one post while maintaining gas is kinda nice. In other situations... wreck penetration, caves, under ice... all demand redundancy to be done safely.

Many of the folks I dive with also carry a third, or even forth tank with various deco gasses to reduce deco time and increase safety as well.

You are in the tech diving forum, and I'd bet the price of an airfill that virtually everyone in here either wears doubles on a regular basis, or aspires too...

Finally, they feel nice on your back. If they're set up properly, they are balanced nicely and a joy to dive. Most folks here that are in doubles, wear steel tanks which help to sink a drysuit and greatly reduce or even eliminate the need for a weightbelt.

Does that help?

Wearing a single tank is a great limiting factor in terms of what a diver is capable of doing. It is also a bit like a governor on a car... within reason, it prevents a diver from getting into too much trouble (although many still manage too). But "extended range" diving requires more than just a set of double tanks. It requires training, practice, a good brain and a willingness to learn from others,

Michael,

Let me start this way the doubles as you are looking at it, has nothing to do with the diving purpose. per se. doubles is a configuration that provides the ability of having t tanks connected in such a way that they can be isolated and used separately or together. each tank has a valve on the top of it and a connection between the 2 tanks with a valve to allow or not the gas from one side to go to the other side. look at it like the letter H on the bottom of each leg is a tank on the top of each leg is a valve on the cross bar is a valve. on the valve on top of each leg is a regulator. Most simply if one regulator has a rupture then ou can close the tank valve to isolate it and the remaining air wil go across the cross bar to the regulator on he other tank. If there is a rupture in the tank valve on one side then you close the cross bar valve to prevent loss of all air.

Now the flexibility of this configuration is highly desirable for those that do cave and wreck diving. It is the easiest solution for those that need 150 cuft or more for a dive because you don't find tanks 150 and up as a single.

Deco can be done on doubles because you can carry enough air to do it in doubles however it is normally done by carrying additional tanks of more sutable gas mixes to make deco a quicker process.

Regards

Everyone so far hit on the reasons why we do it; and it may be any combination of the above depending on what type of dive it is.

Here's a few more: for cold water, drysuit diving with heavy undergarments, doubles don't add all that much weight when you consider that you'll be dropping a lot (if not almost all) of your lead. Yeah... bands, manifold and the second first stage add a bit more weight, but it's a minimal penalty for the amount of utility that extra 100-130CF gives you. Also, on boat dives in choppy seas with soggy weather, or even on cold winter shore dives, it's very nice to not have to change tanks in between dives. I can also throw one set of doubles in the Zodiac or water taxi and be good for 5 dives over a weekend; instead of loading/unloading/bringing 3-5 single cylinders.

For me, diving at home, doubles are logistically easier and I don't bother with single tanks. On vacation diving warm water with commercial dive ops? There I prefer single tanks - doubles are way too much hassle in those circumstances and I rarely have a tech-inclined buddy with me when traveling.

-B

I thought it was because wearing a single 260cuft tank was awkward.

Exactly. You needed to drive a Suburban with the seats folded down to take it in for a fill... Of course, you only need to do that once in May and once in September...

Doubles? Wuss!
Tripplespost2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom