Doc Deep plans 1200' Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why??

To settle a bar bet on whether the water goes all the way to the bottom.

I suppose there is glory in holding records and expanding your limits.

deeper than anyone has ever been?

Lots of people have been deeper than that (even more than have walked on the moon), except those people aren't dumb enough to do it as a decompression dive. They use atmospheric suits and submarines allowing them to spend some time exploring the bottom.

deeper than anyone has ever been?

Lots of people have been deeper than that (even more than have walked on the moon), except those people aren't dumb enough to do it as a decompression dive. They use atmospheric suits and submarines allowing them to spend some time exploring the bottom.

I guess that's my point. Even SOC divers and hardhat commercial divers do better than 1200 feet.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2015 at 01:51 PM ----------

comparing your dive to walking on the moon? These guys can make that comparison.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/225561-deep-deeper-freakin-deep.html

I talked to Mark Ellyatt a year or two after his 313m/1026ft dive and he was experiencing what he felt were permanent injuries to his lungs from that dive. He also said that Nuno Gomes and Pascal Bernabe had experienced lasting (if not chronic) problems from their dives too. Pascal was obviously injured when a light he had on his mask imploded at depth and blew out his eardrum, making for a very difficult ascent and if I remember correctly has lead to recurring problems with vertigo and vomiting during ascent. Nuno apparently becomes deaf for a period of time after such dives. Mark's problem is that his lungs are fried and may never recover.

etc etc etc. I'm sure that all of the 10 or so guys who have operated at this depth (at least the ones who haven't died yet) have experienced similar issues.

If the point is to confirm the limits of reasonable maximum depths for executable deep diving on OC then it's already been established within reason at round about 300m. Mark's experience helped us understand the RGBM model better (and nearly cost him his life in the process) and what he says, or did at the time, that he's convinced that that diving to about the 100m mark is feasible with most off the shelf tools. After that, the going deco models start to show increasing drift from the experiences of divers without modification. I think this is a valuable insight.

Other than that, however, record setting dives are just for getting your own wiki page and generating a steady stream of students who know your name and want you to train them for big $$$$. At least, this was the take home message I got from that.

I think the message in the video the OP posted was pretty clear. Garman wants to have the biggest balls.

Good luck to him. Eventually these record setting dives will end when the body count starts to accumulate. Let's hope this time we get another "get out of jail free" card and aren't here after the dive debating the ethics of it all.....

R..

Ahmed Gabr's dive was "validated" by the world records people, they didn't just take his word for it or look at his dive computer. I think he was pulling off depth markers as he went down the descent line or something of that sort. I wonder if anything like that has been set up for this attempt?
The reason I mention this is that this thread, earlier this year, had some questions raised about whether the Doc Deep did the 550' dive he claimed to do on that day. Kinda makes me wonder if a similar thread is going to happen for the 1200' dive.

On a not-completely-related note, the video about the world record attempt was quite entertaining - reminded me of trailers for C-grade disaster films that my buddies and I watch when we're well and truly drunk. Maybe he'll also get a sharktopus on video during ...

All jokes aside, I hope no one gets hurt if and when this dive happens.

Cheesy video to say the least. 800 ft is stilla long way from 1200ft.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom