Long hose for 2nd Stage regulator , Short hose for Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeoh Chee Weng

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to exchange the long hose from my 2nd stage reg with that from the Octopus. I am not fanatic about the DIR way. It seemed sensible that giving up the 2nd stage reg to your distressed buddy is quicker than retrieving the Octopus. DIR recommends to pass the Octopus hose around the neck - how do you do this so as not to cause a potential choke or entanglement? Is there another way to hang the Octopus for the quickest possible retrieval?

The DIR hoses are different lengths to the "normal" primary & octopus hoses supplied with most out-of-the-box regulator setups. Your backup regulator goes on a 22-24" (55-60cm) hose, with a bungee necklace around your neck, and your primary regulator (the one you donate from your mouth) goes on a "long hose" - normally 5' or 7' (150-210cm).

There is no choke or entanglement hazard, from either the bungee necklace or the long hose pass behind the neck.

The 'long' hose that is routed around the neck is 'long'. Not the same as a 36~40" octopus hose. It should be 5' minimum for you to be able to route it that way.
Then you route the hose under your right arm, across your chest, and then around your neck over your left shoulder, and finally coming around from the behind from the right. If you have the correct length hose, there is no way you can get entangled or get choked. Divers in overhead environments use a 7' hose in order to be able to swim single file while air sharing. With this hose, the difference is you tuck the excess hose under your harness or more preferably route it under a canister light or knife on your harness waist belt. The optimal length may vary slightly depending on the diver's height and size.

If you are just using a standard octopus hose, then just use it as you would a normal hose. It will be a little loopy, though. The short hose second stage(your backup) will be attached to a bungee necklace and hung from your neck. (DIR gear advice also makes this as short as possible without restricting movement. 22~24" as opposed to the usual 32" hose.)

BTW, once you try sharing air with a 'long' hose and then try sharing air with an 'octopus' hose, you will really appreciate the value of the long hose.

Yeoh Chee Weng:
I would like to exchange the long hose from my 2nd stage reg with that from the Octopus. I am not fanatic about the DIR way. It seemed sensible that giving up the 2nd stage reg to your distressed buddy is quicker than retrieving the Octopus. DIR recommends to pass the Octopus hose around the neck - how do you do this so as not to cause a potential choke or entanglement? Is there another way to hang the Octopus for the quickest possible retrieval?

I'm with you on this. I tried long hose around the neck untill I experimented with different deployment scenarios. An out of gas diver approaching you from the left and pulling the reg could easily choke you before you could free the hose. Also if your backup is close enough to your chin the long hose noose will also prevent you from getting your much needed air to you mouth. I have since attached my long hose to my right tank with a pair of bands made from tire inner tubes. It deploys easily and does not interfere with anything else.
I know this flys in the face of popular practice but this is what works for me.
Let me say there is no substitute for training so if you have an instructor that insists on long hose around the neck ask him about the left hand emergency deployment. Better yet try it for yourself.

cheers,

wedivebc:
I'm with you on this. I tried long hose around the neck untill I experimented with different deployment scenarios. An out of gas diver approaching you from the left and pulling the reg could easily choke you before you could free the hose. Also if your backup is close enough to your chin the long hose noose will also prevent you from getting your much needed air to you mouth. I have since attached my long hose to my right tank with a pair of bands made from tire inner tubes. It deploys easily and does not interfere with anything else.
Try the long hose in the water in a horizontal position - it slides right over the back of your head - it will NOT choke you. Calling it a noose is very misleading, and counter to the experience of the numerous divers successfully diving this configuration.

How often do you practice air sharing with that long hose bungeed to your tanks?

Yeoh Chee Weng:

I tried both setups (long hose as well as standard length) and I did not care for the long hose. I'm sure as with anything you can get good at managing it with practice but it always felt like a mess to deal with. I also subscribe to the idea that it is better to be close to a diver out of air/distressed because that serves a calming effect. You would definitely need the long hose for single file space limited penetration dives.

--Matt

Scubaroo:
Try the long hose in the water in a horizontal position - it slides right over the back of your head - it will NOT choke you. Calling it a noose is very misleading, and counter to the experience of the numerous divers successfully diving this configuration.

How often do you practice air sharing with that long hose bungeed to your tanks?

Sorry, yes noose is maybe a little emotional. I have tried both ways and I do practice air sharing frequently with my students as well as with my dive buddies. I will put the hose around my neck when re-stowing it after gas sharing but for my comfort stuffed hose still works best.
May I suggest you give my way an honest try. I tried your way.
My concern is a panicked diver coming from your blind side on the left and pulling violently.
I just have to always assume the worst when Murphy is diving with me.

cheers,

wedivebc:
My concern is a panicked diver coming from your blind side on the left and pulling violently.
I just have to always assume the worst when Murphy is diving with me.

cheers,

If the hose was routed correctly, all this would do is roll the donating diver over on his right side, at worst.
I'll agree it takes a while to become comfortable with using a long hose, but I don't think your scenerio of the "blind side" diver is a valid concern.

MD

Thanks everyone for responding, the replies came quick and informative.
I am aiming to be a Rescue diver and my instructor has hinted that he will suddenly pulled away my 2nd stage reg to simulate an emergency. In such a situation the octopus on a bungee necklace would be a good idea. The routing of the long hose seems to be too much work - I am just a recreation diver in open waters. I'm only thinking of avoiding a crisis if a buddy grabs my reg suddenly. The idea of a slightly longer than usual 2nd stage hose is to give me more space to reach for my octopus which usually hangs on a karabiner on my waist harness. I intend to practise with my buddy using various lengths and attachment positions before my rescue course until I find the most practical way.

MechDiver:
If the hose was routed correctly, all this would do is roll the donating diver over on his right side, at worst.
I'll agree it takes a while to become comfortable with using a long hose, but I don't think your scenerio of the "blind side" diver is a valid concern.

MD

So I had someone come up on my left side while in the pool last night, and pull violently on my primary reg, just like a panicked diver would and I must say the rollover worked well. I was very surprised at how easy it was to perform. Not sure I would want to try it in a wreck but maybe with a trusted buddy it's worth a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom