V-Planner Updated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It appears as though Ross has updated V-Planner again to version 1.04. It's a nice upgrade with a new Lost Gas option and easier repetitive dive planning.

Take care.

Mike

LY,the lost gas feature is cool.I got it a coupla weeks ago and played this weekend.The repetitive dive feature is very easy to use 2.I set up a lot of different scenarios for a 160' ledge we have here.

I just downloaded V planner, looks like a great little piece of software....but i think it could be way conservitive? correct me if i am wrong (as if i needed to say that :) ) the reason that i say that is the NDL limits....using the PADI RDP tables at 100 feet on air you would have 20 minutes of ND BT, but with the V planner the same dive on air to 100 feet is considerably less, like 14 minutes or so with zero conservatism set.

Why is this? i know it is "decompression software" but why would it put you into DECO before a set of very conservative tables? maybe i am a little confused....maybe the nitrogen is gettin to me :)

Narced_1 :jester:

Originally posted by narced_1

Why is this? i know it is "decompression software" but why would it put you into DECO before a set of very conservative tables?
The old rule of bottom time + depth = 120 for NDL was so swabbies could remember it not because you had no deco obligation after 20 minutes at 100 feet....

Most NDL tables are bend and treat tables....

Every dive is a decompression dive and modern deco programs recognize this and have you at least do minimum deco after any significant exposure....

Sending a diver who has been at 100 for 20 straight to the surface is unwise.... and so the agencies decided to only send the diver to a 15 foot *safety stop* where presumably he/she could recover from the effects. But the key is not to get rid of bubbles... it is to prevent them by slow ascent and the way this is achieved with modern deco programs is through stops that shape the ascent into a curve.

Thank you very much....I knew it had to be something simple, it was....i agree with what you have said and it all makes perfect sense.....i am a SAFE diver. i have my ascent rate alarm set to 50 feet per minute max....i like to keep it slower...like 20-30 from any depth....thanks for the explanation

Narced_1 :jester:

Originally posted by narced_1
thanks for the explanation
You are welcome but I had to go back and correct it as I left out the number 120 and the word *for* while typing so furiously :wink:

Should have read:
The old rule of bottom time + depth = 120 for NDL

One thing that will really help in slowing and controlling the ascent is to look at *stuff* in the water rather than your gauge...

Here in the PNW we are so nutrient rich that there is always little floating specks in the water and they are fairly stationary in the water column. I watch them as I ascend and can tell what my rate of ascent is doing.... much finer control than watching a gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom