Tech equipment (GUE/DIR equipment)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darian Dunn

Reaction score
This is a Technical equipment question so I am not putting this in the general equipment section. If someone sees a need to move it, that’s Ok, but I really only want GUE/tech people to answer the quesiton.

For the Michigan training I need at a minimum:
1. 7’ hose (rigged DIR)
2. Backplate
3. Harness
4. Wings
I have been told rentals could probably be arranged, but I think buying would be a better bet.

What are the group’s recommendations (make, model,…)?
Anyone know of any good used equipment?
Where can I get this stuff at a reasonable price?

When I was on the phone with NetDoc last night, he mentioned he setup a new backplate/wing for a really attractive price.

If he doesn't come along and post on his own accord, I'll drag him over here.

for all intents and purposes a backplate is a backplate is a backplate. price wise I don't think FredT can be beat (but I
don't recall his contact number, etc ... email me)

wings ... halcyon. no fluff, just good product. rumor has it that
other mfgs are now eliminating the pull-dump elbows, etc.

harness ... buy the webbing (about 21 feet), d-rings, keepers,
etc. and make your own.

I think you would also like a short hosed "back-up" reg with a necklace made from bungee or surgical tubing.

They also want you to have a spool, a lift bag/surface marker, lights.....for a list of "DIR Fundmentals" requirements -- see the link below

http://www.gue.com/classroom/standards/gue_rec_student.pdf

Some courses have gear available...if you are flying an instructor in from a remote location...may not be the case.

Originally posted by Darian Dunn

1. 7’ hose (rigged DIR)
2. Backplate
3. Harness
4. Wings
1) Make doesn't matter. You also need a short hose for the necklace and a short spg hose. The Halcyon prices are not bad and you can get a good deal by just getting the DIR hose kit.

2) Make doesn't matter... except you want to make sure you are not getting some kludge... Halcyon, FredT, Gary Hoadly, whatever.

3) Harness... stiff weightbelting... you only need 12' (not 21') but go ahead and get 13' if you have a big tummy... You also need 2" softer belting for the crotch strap. Easy way is just to get the rigging kit from Halcyon or FredT but if you want to save a few bucks and don't mind the hassel get 5 ss D-rings (bend 2), 5 ss weightbelt keepers, 1/16" bungee, 1" inner tube loops, 1 ss weight belt buckle and put your own together. I personally would buy the kit if I were you and then when the times comes buy belting to replace the worn out stuff after a couple of years if you did a good job sanding the slot holes in the bp and after 6 months if you didn't.

4) Hands down/don't even consider anything else... Halcyon pioneer 36# or explorer 55# if doubles. That said I dive a 27# for singles and a 70# for doubles but I have reasons.

I agree with you that the best bet is to have your own stuff...
But I would also add for others reading this that if you can't afford to buy the right stuff for the class then at least borrow or rent it... don't waste your class struggling with the wrong gear.

Good folks will sit on this board and argue for fun all day long about what gear is the best but when you start to take a DIRF you will quickly begin to see why everything is the way it is.

Tip... have an extra mask clipped off to the bungee in your left thigh pocket with a double end bolt snap... very handy for DIRF.:wink:

Darian,

All the previous responses to your question are on target.

The only recommendation I would add is try to get the gear far enough in advance of your class to get used to it. I don't know what you're used to using now but trying to get used to a new configuration while you're in class will make life a lot more difficult.

Just my $.02

I am not DIR (well, duh!) neither am I GUE trained... Sorry for posting, but as my NAME was brought up... here is Fred's E-Mail

Fred Tagge [ftagge@goldinc.com] (See attached file)

Here is where I am getting my webbing...

WWW.ReefSCUBA.com

And here is where I am getting an incredible deal on a 55# OMS (non-bungeed for you purists even)... ($175.00)

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/closeouts.html

If this is for the Fundamentals class all you need is the long hose and no split fins. I have arranged a Fundamentals class here in Minneapolis for early May and Andrew is conducting the class. Several people who are taking the class had equipment concerns and I passed them on to Andrew. His response was that a long hose was required and nix on the split fins, if you have more great. About half of the class here will be in plates and other half will be in other gear.

I know what the class requirements say, but if you heard something other than what I did I would like to hear about it.

JoelW

Originally posted by JoelW
I know what the class requirements say, but if you heard something other than what I did I would like to hear about it.
Hi Joel,
Have you already taken the DIRF?

Not to contradict you JoelW, but I contacted the guys running the show in Michigan. I am getting what they say I have to have. Your mileage may very.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom