• No, but I carry a spare!

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Yes, and I had no spare!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, why would I carry a spare?

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Have you ever lost a mask under water? If so, was it stupidity or unavoidable?

And for the uninitiated (like me!), how did you lose it?

Nope. I haven't lost a mask on a dive -- not even almost actually.

Nope. I don't carry a spare either. Perhaps it will take an event to convince me to take one. IMO, you should be comfortable without a mask and with your buddy to get you out of trouble.

I guess that by carrying spare mask you are really trying to solve a problem that is quite unlikely to occur and even if it did, it's no real biggie with a competant buddy. A spare mask is just another thing to carry, and I don't really see the need for it. I should say at least for my diving which is fresh and fairly clean water. Maybe you sea water guys would want one.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Nope. I don't carry a spare either. Perhaps it will take an event to convince me to take one.

I guess that by carrying spare mask you are really trying to solve a problem that is quite unlikely to occur and even if it did, it's no real biggie with a competant buddy.
Man I wish I could be there....
Shoot....

I may have to plan a trip to Michigan....
When is your DIRF?

Yeee Haawwww!!!!

Originally posted by Divesherpa
Have you ever lost a mask under water? If so, was it stupidity or unavoidable?
Sherp... yes, lots of times and no it wasn't stupidity it was Andrew....and yes it was unavoidable.... even having a spare was to no avail.

i have lost a mask exiting in heavy surf. Conditions on the entry were marginal, probably should have called the dive, but we dove risking the conditions wouldnt worsen. needless to say we exited wearing doubles a stage and deco tank and i lost my mask on the exit.

Surf was running about 2-4 when we entered and to our surprise picked up to a steady 6'. I may have lost my mask, but i stayed on my feet.

Andy

Never lost one, but have had one dislodged by high flow (current) on a few occasions, so I can see how one could be lost. We carry spares in these high flow systems for that reason.
Rick

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Man I wish I could be there....
Shoot....

I may have to plan a trip to Michigan....
When is your DIRF?

Yeee Haawwww!!!!

Yes, I hear they really like to mess with people's masks :D. Do you carry a spare UP? I'll have one for the class if they want me to have one, but I suspect they are trying to convince divers to not rely on a mask, right? That's what I would do.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
I suspect they are trying to convince divers to not rely on a mask, right? That's what I would do.
OOooohhh..... Mikey.... now I really want to be there :D

Maybe your buddy will have one....

Point in fact Mike... no matter how ready you are they will find and exploit your weaknesses to show you where they are...

If you don't have an extra mask that just makes one more lesson to learn.

If you do have an extra mask and leave it dangling out of your pocket after getting something else... well that is very handy for Darwin & Murphy...

Yes I always carry an extra... clipped off with a double ender in my left thigh pocket.

BTW your dad sent me a book on shipwrecks in Lake Huron... what a nice guy! :D

You can't scare me UP!! I'm looking forward to it and fully expect to be exploited to no end :D. There isn't a worse case scenario for taking that class -- everything is a plus.

Bring it on, baby!! HHOOYYAA!!

:D

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom