How to add a mask pocket to my wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Anyone have info on a 'how to' project of adding a mask pocket to my neoprene wetsuit? Materials needed, glue, etc?

Thanks...

Material list:

Ziploc Freezer bag with small holes in bottom for water drainage.
Rubber Cement.

Glue bag to side of wetsuit.

:wink:

Actually, I am going to be doing the same thing to my wetsuit. I am adding pockets to both sides of it. One for my mask, the other for sheers, tables, wetnotes, etc etc.

I was told by the LDS that you simply need the pocket of your choice and neoprene cement, the same stuff you fix wetsuits with. However, I have also been told that you should have it sewn on. So I am at a loss myself. Anyone have any firsthand experience? I am planning on simply gluing them on. Will this hold?

prolly the best reason for NOT sewing is that you will be
(likely) poking holes all the way through the suit.

Bob3 will likely chime in with his experiences. Listen to him.
He "izz da man".

Dive Rite has a pocket that velcro around your thigh so that you can add a pocket to your wetsuit without sewing or glueing:D

I used that process to put two pockets on. I got a can of the McNetts, and would have liked a bit more, so get two, as you will need to touch up the edges from time to time. Doing it again I would probably use some type of process to not get the cement outside of the boundaries or ooze out when pushing down on the pocket. I got a little bit on the edges so they do not look the best, but they work.

I was a bit skeptical at having pockets on the legs there, but decided to go for it. I could not be happier with the result. I was using pockets that go on the web belt or regular bc pockets that were a pain to get to, or use. These pockets are very easy to use, see, and best of all, I cannot even tell there is anything there when finning along. Very surprised. I would not get another wetsuit without figuring adding pockets into the cost.

I looked into sewing them on, EE recommended a shoe shop as they have the right machine, but I decided to just use the glue.

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom