Dumb regulator question for technical training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a "newbie" question..well newbie to the tech world that is. I recently purchased a set of doubles and now need to be supplied with some regs for them. I was wondering, as I but 2 first stages with 2 second stages, do I also get Octos for these? Thanks.

KidK9:
I have a "newbie" question..well newbie to the tech world that is. I recently purchased a set of doubles and now need to be supplied with some regs for them. I was wondering, as I but 2 first stages with 2 second stages, do I also get Octos for these? Thanks.

You only need two second stages. If your instructor is teaching with a holgarthian config you'll need your primary on the right post on a 2metre long hose and the secondary (apparently it's taboo to call it in octopus) is hung around your neck on a necklace. This one has a short hose and it routed over your right shoulder. And while I'm at it....BCD right, drysuit left, SPG left.

R..

So is it taboo to have a computer console with the SPG? Thanks for handling my ignorance.

KidK9:
So is it taboo to have a computer console with the SPG? Thanks for handling my ignorance.

The best place for your computer/timer is on your wrist. The SPG should be clipped in a way to prevent it hitting whatever you are diving on (or in). At a push you could use a console - I did for a few diives before buuying a new computer simply because the old computer was a console mounted one from my rec. diving days. I wouldn't recommend this configuration - I soon got fed up with it, but sometimes lack of funds means less than ideal.

Many computers can bee wrist mounted if you buy the strap and housing. In my case it was cheaper to get a new model - just that buying everything at once and paying for the course all at the same time hurt!!

Chris

KidK9:

Well...... At the very least it's uncommon. If you have your computer on your HP hose it would probably take more abuse than it would on your arm and since you probably won't be able to read it without unclipping it (think about what would happen if you are carrying a stage bottle) having it on the hp hose would become annoying, I think.

R..

Diver0001:
And while I'm at it....BCD right, drysuit left, SPG left.

R..

I was with you right up to this point. BCD on right seems counter intuative since the inflater hose is on the left. I route from the left post straight over my shoulder to the inflator, and then right post under the arm to the drysuit valve. Is there a reason why the opposite is better?

KidK9:
It is taboo on general principle but whether it is actually a workable idea or not depends a lot on the computer. I use a small air integrated computer incorporating an spg. The total size is not much larger than an spg alone and does not present the same problems as a larger 2 or 3 gauge console.

I have not had any problems with it getting beat to death by a stage bottle and I prefer to have the left forearm free for a slate and a bottom timer. The slate has the primary dive plan and deco schedule as well as contingency plans on it as the computer is only a backup and is placed in gauge mode for some profiles.

Some will argue that an electronic spg is a bad idea but I have not had any instance where it has failed in the water in over 250 dives with it. In the event that an spg of any type fails, if you are referring to it enough and have done a proper job of planning, you are still going to be able to accurately estimate what you have left for air and will be able to end the dive accordingly with a normal and safe ascent.

On the other hand if your computer is a hockey puck mounted in a 2 gauge console with an independent SPG, it makes more sense to move the computer to your wrist.

mavjax:
I was with you right up to this point. BCD on right seems counter intuative since the inflater hose is on the left. I route from the left post straight over my shoulder to the inflator, and then right post under the arm to the drysuit valve. Is there a reason why the opposite is better?
There are some streamlining and snag reduction benefits to crossing over the hoses from the left and right posts.

mavjax:

The main reason I've been given is so you can't roll it off.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom