Newly certified tec/trimix diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rameus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there

May not be the right place to post this but since I am so excited about just having become a trimix diver I had to share this somewhere. I figured people in here could most likely understand what I am talking about. This is why I wrote a little article about my experience I had doing the whole TEC/Trimix-courses in the last few weeks.

You can find my article on my website. Feel free to comment and/or share your experience :)

Thom

Congratluations, Thom! This is a great achievement. Some day I hope to join you!

I love your point about seeking a new challenge . . . One of the first things I read when I came on SB was an article about "What you do when blowing bubbles is no longer enough". The point of the article was that, for many people, just being underwater eventually palls, and if you are going to remain engaged in the sport, you have to find a reason other than floating to continue to do it. For some folks, it's instruction; for others, it's photography. And for a small set of the misguided, it's pushing the limits of recreational diving into a whole new world, whether that's deep, or underground.

For me, developing new skills is a complete pleasure in and of itself. I love to practice things, and polish them, and an elegant and correct performance is a lot of its own reward. Getting into a little technical and a lot of cave diving has been a joy. I get to see places where very, very few people have ever been (and maybe someday someplace NOBODY else has ever seen) and constantly challenge myself to be better, cleaner, more efficient, and more aware.

Picking up a camera can do this, too -- I don't think ANYBODY ever gets good enough with a camera that they aren't trying to do better next time!

thanks guys! just felt like writing my experiences and already on a new article about some diving related stuff... ;-)

For me, developing new skills is a complete pleasure in and of itself. I love to practice things, and polish them, and an elegant and correct performance is a lot of its own reward. Getting into a little technical and a lot of cave diving has been a joy. I get to see places where very, very few people have ever been (and maybe someday someplace NOBODY else has ever seen) and constantly challenge myself to be better, cleaner, more efficient, and more aware.

i do totally agree with you! especially once you master the "basics" you can start working on things like trim and so on... at one point i just felt like trying something completely new and therefore also a whole new challenge in itself. it was fun but i guess the "regular" diving will still be how i go out there if i do trips on liveaboards and stuff like that.

thom

Mirrors my own recent forays into technical diving pretty closely. 7 years in I was a little bored and had recently moved to St. Croix and stopped teaching SCUBA. The technical planning appeals to my anal-retentive computer programmer side. So much so that I wrote some custom software to make it easier when I find parts of V-Planner that aren't quite polished enough for me.

Congratulations on TriMix - and don't give up on the liveaboard for slightly crazier diving. The M/V Spree does technical charters down in Key West that are supposed to be amazing. I've done a few trips with them recreationally, trying to figure out when a few friends and I can make it up there for one of the tech charters. Check out Spree Expeditions M/V Spree SCUBA Diving Dry Tortugas/Vandenberg and Florida Keys Wrecks if you want more info.

Great article, I appreciate it. I will be going to Utila, Honduras - Utila Dive Center on Jan 4 for two weeks to start the Padi Tec Diver course, and am looking forward to the experiences

I just completed Tec40/45/50 with Utila Dive Center, Mary Peters was my principal instructor, with assists from G and Loni. Absolutely excellent, the largest group at any time was 2 instructors, 3 students, often 1 on 1, or 2 on 1, admittedly I needed a few extra days of training to dial in my buoyancy control, and get the skills right, they gave me a great deal of extra time and personal one-on-one attention. The course is challenging, intense, and fun, this was my second time at UDC and would strongly recommend UDC for any level.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom