Truk Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just returned from a month of diving in Palau and Truk.

Palau was wonderful; all the things they say about it are true.
18 of my dive buddies from Vancouver chartered the Big Blue Explorer. This is five star accommodations. And the diving spectacular.

We did dives to 200 feet were the water was 85 degrees and the vis the same as air. Sharks everywhere, and the coral etc beautiful. Over the next little while I will be posting some photos on my web site so stay tuned.

Well after 10 day there we dumped off anybody who wasn’t advanced Nitrox / Deco divers with experience in penetration and headed to Truk.

Actually it is now called Chuuk. Anyways ten of us arrived at the Truk Stop Motel were we met our dive guides etc. We had pre arranged for them to supply us Oxygen, which we would later use for decompression. Air was our bottom gas.
We also had an understanding with our guides that there would be unlimited depths and run times. This was going to lead to some spectacular diving

You all know the story of Truk so I won’t bore you with history, just think of it as a wreck divers paradise were you could never in a life time dive all there is to dive.
We managed to dive on ten wrecks; some shallow like the magnificent Fujikawa Maru with more marine life per square inch than anything I have ever seen. Starting at the surface and ending in the engine room at 110 feet this wreck is easy to dive and stunning.

The two wrecks that stood out were the San Francisco Maru sitting in 220 feet of water; there has been very little diving below recreational limits because Oxygen just came available this year for decompression. I’ll describe one dive here.
We drop down on the San Francisco Maru right on top of two tanks sitting on her deck then we swam her beam to find another, descending into the cargo hold the next level had several vehicles in quite good shape, but people had been there, we were on a mission to go deeper in her belly.

Descending into the hold there was a passageway to a long corridor, even though she once had eight-foot ceilings they were now reduced to four foot because of the silt sitting on her floors. I tied off my line to a vehicle sitting in the hold and entered the darkness. My hid light lit the way as I made one turn and then the next working my way down the hall to the crews quarters, then down a flight of stairs barely wide enough to fit a small boy much less my large ass with four tanks hanging on me.

Tanks oh yes this was a six tank dive, all 80’s, four with air and two with 70% [the highest concentration we could get] I configured the tanks as such. Doubles of course on my back, and two additional tanks of air on my belly clipped to my shoulders and the bottom to my scooter ring. Two additional deco stage bottles were left at the descent line for recovery latter. Then to be clipped the top to my shoulders and the bottom to the bottom of my doubles.

Down the stairs I went to were few had been before me, at 210 feet I found myself in a large room which was once divided by wood partitions to make crews quarters. The wood all but gone, I continued until the end of my four hundred foot reel and then stuck my arms down into the silt up to my shoulders I pulled up endless amounts of artifacts, partial uniforms, china, sake bottles, bones, a gun, gas masks, etc. at 45 minutes my VR3 computer was telling me time to go. As my deco time was getting long. I retraced my line reeling it in as I went. So as not to lead anybody down there that shouldn’t be.

As I came back into the bright blue light I felt as if I had just been in a tomb, something from Disney though were they were still there playing cards and drinking Sake, and asking me to stay with them. My first deco stop was still inside the wreck as I ascended I realized in the Pacific North west we don’t limit our dives by the cold or our air supply but by the size of our bladder. I was thinking this with a very long sigh of relief.

I then started up the line for my long decompression. But it was so worth it my total dive was just over 190 minutes without a bit of chill, and I wet myself at least four time [how great is that] I carried out of there with my a good stack of china for others to see and then we left them in a little wood box on the side of one of the tanks as a present to some curious diver in the future

Our next wreck is one that was discovered just five years ago, and has been closed to diving because of the strange fluid that was leaking from it. It sits about 1-½ hours out from our hotel in 250 feet of water. That story another time as this is getting to long

Hey, great stuff!

Where you one of the guys swapping rebreather bits with Simon at Guam airport on the 29th April? If so I have finally met another board member - I was in the group heading off to Bikini!!

Needless to say we had a great time too and a report will be coming out shortly - tried to do it last night but the images did not link properly, will have another go later....

Cheers
Jonathan

Originally posted by Jonathan
Hey, great stuff!

Where you one of the guys swapping rebreather bits with Simon at Guam airport on the 29th April? If so I have finally met another board member - I was in the group heading off to Bikini!!

Needless to say we had a great time too and a report will be coming out shortly - tried to do it last night but the images did not link properly, will have another go later....

Cheers
Jonathan

Jonathan
Yes that was me at an ungodly hour in Gaum.
I was the one with the VR3, my buddy Derek was the rebreather parts.

I must say Simon is one of the best guys I have ever met

How was Bikini.
My next trip is going to be 7 days Truk then 7 days Bikini then 7 days Truk

I would like to here about the lagistics of going to Bikini, and what the diving was like.

Got space for another?! If only I could take 3 weeks off like that.....

The report is almost ready but for a sneak peek at the pictures go to: Bikini Trip

The longest part of the trip is getting to Majuro, from the Guam end it is the 5th stop on a 737 - a long day. But it is only 4.5 hours, first stop from Honolulu.

Logistics wise the flight to Bikini is interesting. Simon's plan is the best - have the whole group check in together, this way lighter people offset the heavier ones. We ended up paying $80 excess. The limits are 30lbs checkin and 270lbs carry on - and this includes you!! You even have to get on scales..... Because we were a large group - 11 - it meant they could not fit on the fresh produce and more importantly for Tim and the gang the mail....

If you want a friend for life get the mail off Brenda (rep on Majuro) and take it as part of your excessive - they also appreciate any DVD's / Videos you can take and Tim is also a Pringle fan!!

Anyway now I am preempting the report which I should be able to wrap up tonight.

I agree about Simon - for all your Tek diving needs in Micronesia he's your man! Well he is IANTD Micronesia.... For all those that don't know him check out PSD Guam

Cheers
Jonathan

jonathan
Great pic, we'll have to do a dive together sometime.

I am planning the following dives this summer
ANDRIA DORIA
BIANCA C
PRINCESS OF IRELEAND [possible]
CAVE COURSE IN FLORIDA
CAVE DIVING IN TALUM ET AL
HAWAII - MAUI
THREE MONTHS IN CAYMAN
AND A QUICK RUN TO COZUMEL
and of course the daily stuff in BC

My passion is wrecks, so if you have any good ideas.

you want wrecks - go just about anywhere in the UK then.....

Do you need anyone to carry your bags? I am available at quite reasonable rates?!

Cheers
Jonathan

I beleive you meant the Emperess of Ireland in Quebec, Canada? Shoot me an E-mail when you plan on diving this wreck because I will be diving it towards the end of Summer and maybe we can get enough people to do a charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom