Recommendations on San Antonio Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1RUSTYRIG

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey gang...the wife and I have finally completed our move from California to the home of the swamp divers :D

We are looking for a new dive shop in the San Antonio area. The wife and I are both getting ready to continue are PADI education so that is requirement #1. Also, a good selection of quality dive gear is always helpful....

Thanks in advance and it's a pleasure to be here!

Kevin

I personally like Deep Blue Adventures off of Broadway. The owner Trey is a very friendly, easy going guy. He treats people more like friends, than customers. Deep Blue also have monthly meetings at Joe's Crab Shack every 2nd Thursday at 7:00pm (but get there around 6:00pm if you want to get a good seat and something to eat). They also send out emails with information about local dive outings, up-coming classes, planned dive trips (rig trips, flower garden, etc.), and just general dive information. You just have to ask or email them to add you to their email list. They're making good use of technology and keeping people informed with it. I've dealt with 2 other LDS in San Antonio and I've never heard anything from either of them outside of the shop.

Here's their website and contact information:
Deep Blue Adventures
1020 Townsend Avenue
San Antonio, Texas 78209
(210)930-1188

From where I live, their shop is a 30 minute drive but well worth it. If you go visit them, let me know what you think.
Hope this helps.
Lea Ann

P.S. Also, I'm strictly a customer of their's and nothing more.

Thanks Lea Ann! I will get down there and check them out.

Kevin

Kevin...welcome to the Swamp!

Welcome to you and your wife, Kevin! Come dive at CSSP (Terrell) when you get a chance. Hope yall like your new home in Texas. Yeehaw!

Foo

You should also consider Duggan Diving in Universal City. Great people to dive with, lots of diving activity year round (including night river or lake dives every Thursday), and my personal favorite LDS, since they certified me.

So I found a LDS called "Dive Masters" off of Grissom rd... They are affiliated with SSI and MUCH closer to my local (3 miles as apposed to 25)...any word on these guys?

1RUSTYRIG:
So I found a LDS called "Dive Masters" off of Grissom rd... They are affiliated with SSI and MUCH closer to my local (3 miles as apposed to 25)...any word on these guys?

I was certified by them, and like you, they are the closest dive shop to me. But personally, I don't like their operating practices. I normally don't like to talk bad about someone, but since asking about them - here's my experience.

The owner Tom has been diving for very long time and is very knowledgeable. I had no problem him or with my OW class, actually I was pumped ready to do more. But when I went back to take my AOW, I had to wait 3 months for their next class. And there was only one other diver in the class. I thought if it took that long to just be able to get one other diver to take this class, how long would it take to do the more advance classes. I believe your first requirement was continuing your education, this is why I didn't recommend Dive Masters. If you want to shop there, I say "go fer it".

I guess all those years of me working in retail make me critical about customer service and how a store operates. Here's a list of the dive stores in San Antonio and in order of my preference:
1. Deep Blue Adventures
2. Duggan Diving
3. Dive World (they have 2 locations)
4. Dive Masters

The only reason Duggan is #2 is because I have never gone there. But I'm in a club with people who go there and they love them and always talking very highly of them. We have a Yahoo! group and we're a non-dive-shop-affliated club, so post your question there and see what they say.

My apologies if I offend anybody at Diver Masters. Tom is a very smart, knowledgeable instructor with a very off-the-wall sense of humour, but I just didn't feel comfortable with his after OW practices.

Lea Ann

Thanks for the info Lea Ann. When I called Dive Masters they told me that they have an AOW course scheduled in two weeks (which works great for my schedule). I will call around a little bit more...I guess the drive wouldn't be too bad since it's only 2 days for AOW.

I was just in SA a couple of week ago and saw several wetsuits hanging off of balconies. Are most people quarry diving? just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom