Lake Tenkiller Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know a while back a few of y'all were interested in diving Lake Tenkiller. Well, it's still there! Now there is a new scuba park ( since April) and we went by Nautical Adventures today in Cookson. They just sunk a new airplane in the park last Monday. There is a Tenkiller lake clean-up on September 9-10 and this might just be the best opportunity you can have to get a few dives in and win some prizes for your effort. We did not dive this weekend we just rode our bikes all around the lake and visited our old dive shop. It's a beautiful lake and would make for a nice weekend if anyone decides to go up there. Keep diving!

That is awsome,,,,,,I would love to dive the lake sometime in the future.

So what is diving in the lake like? What kind of vis and depth? And how far is it in to OK?

Here is a link to Lake Tenkiller Scuba Park information.

http://www.laketenkiller.com/scuba.asp and here is the e-mail for the Clean-up details

nautical@divetenkiller.com

September 9-10, 2005

I will e-mail him and see what the details are and post them. Notoriously the vis was bad in July or so because it gets so warm and it's like pea soup. Visibility should be greatly improved by September. We were so busy playing "scuba industry gossip" that I got a little distracted and didn't get the visibility details. I have known Tim for 8 years, he trained us through our AOW and we have tried to visit reguarly. Anyway it's a beautiful area and I will get the vis details.

Could make for a fun weekend...

I'd like to get in on a dive or two up there, I did my checkout dives there back in '88. I'm gonna have to skip this one though, Dive for The Heart is that weekend at CSSP, so I'm gonna try and make it out there.

Debraw:
I know a while back a few of y'all were interested in diving Lake Tenkiller. Well, it's still there! Now there is a new scuba park ( since April) and we went by Nautical Adventures today in Cookson. They just sunk a new airplane in the park last Monday. There is a Tenkiller lake clean-up on September 9-10 and this might just be the best opportunity you can have to get a few dives in and win some prizes for your effort. We did not dive this weekend we just rode our bikes all around the lake and visited our old dive shop. It's a beautiful lake and would make for a nice weekend if anyone decides to go up there. Keep diving!

Say hi to Tim Knight and TJ when your up there. Ahhh yes... good ole Instructor Tim. He takes ya down to about 20 feet, sits ya on a stump and has ya do yer skills !

Thats where I got my C card. It rained like crazy while we were up there. 4 ft. vis the was the best we ever saw that week. After that I felt like I could swim in any swamp with confidence. I hear its pretty clear some years and it does have pretty rocks and a rolling bottom surface. Rock & Roll

Debraw:
Here is a link to Lake Tenkiller Scuba Park information.

http://www.laketenkiller.com/scuba.asp and here is the e-mail for the Clean-up details

nautical@divetenkiller.com

Like most lakes the visability varies by conditions, The lake is 5' below normal, has had problems with an illegal dam built upstream and very warm surface waters. So the visabilty will run 2' behind student divers in the new park, to 8' near the school bus and some rock bluffs on the north edge of the same park. Crappie point, next to the day had areas of 2' followed by 8' scattered between a mud bottom and rock ledges. For you Texas spearfishermen, catfish are legal to hunt and my partner got a 21 pound flathead last week, there were several other flatheads and channels in 20' to 30' depth. Get a temp fishing license, flathead catfish must be 20" minimum, no size limit on channel. Bryozoa are common, and jellyfish should start showing up soon. There are some good dive areas you can dive from shore, and of course better diving if you go out by boat. There are two dive shops around the lake for air or rental equipment. Visability of 20 to 30 feet is common in September and October. Early Spring before the rains is the clearest diving like Travis and Possum Kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom