Laredo and Corpus Christi Dive Site Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gillty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently live up on the other side of Red River and I might end up working for a company either in Laredo or Corpus Christi. What are the best and closest dive sites to Laredo? Is there any good diving in the gulf off of Corpus? What city would you have to travel to if you wanted to make a Flower Gardens trip?

Thanks

Gillty

Not sure about Laredo. Great rig/platform diving from many private charter boats in Port Aransas and all up and down coast. Great spearfishing.

Flower Garden NMS trips sail out of Freeport.

Happy diving!
Gillty:
Hello,

I currently live up on the other side of Red River and I might end up working for a company either in Laredo or Corpus Christi. What are the best and closest dive sites to Laredo? Is there any good diving in the gulf off of Corpus? What city would you have to travel to if you wanted to make a Flower Gardens trip?

Thanks

Gillty

It looks like I'll be moving to Laredo. For the first time in my life my address will not say Oklahoma. I hope all of you Longhorn fans got room for a Sooner down there. If any of you swampers are from or currently live in that area any info on dive stuff, house/apt. rentals, will be appreciated. Also do you know of any dive shops in Laredo?

Thanks guys

Gillty

I am going to be visiting Corpus Christi at the end of October, to Nov 3rd? In my search for diving in that area, I came up with this thread. But does anyone have any suggestions for the area dive boats? I saw that the area had rig diving, do you need a certification or training for that?

I would get in touch with Frogmans Scuba in Port Aransas.
Phone- (361) 749-3434
Web- http://www.frogmans.com/

Great group, they do more spearfishing than anything.
They can provide boats and advise on were to dive.
They are good people and go out of their way to see that you have a nice time.

Please keep in mind that for Rigs you are looking at require a ride... out.
Locally, the water quality will vary alot.
Thats the closest to Corpus Christi I can get you.

Good luck with that.
Andrew

StuartScuba:
I am going to be visiting Corpus Christi at the end of October, to Nov 3rd? In my search for diving in that area, I came up with this thread. But does anyone have any suggestions for the area dive boats? I saw that the area had rig diving, do you need a certification or training for that?

StuartScuba:

I think most of the charters stop running after October, call now to check. Frogman's set me up with a rig trip on the 1st. I agree you should start there. If Port Aransas charters are done for the year you can try ones out of South Padre. It's about a 3 hour drive South though. No cert needed for rig diving but be aware you will be 30 to 40 miles to sea. There are currents and chop to deal with. Bring a signalling device, gloves and a full wetsuit if possible. If you PM me your email I'll send a few photos.

Gillty:
It looks like I'll be moving to Laredo. For the first time in my life my address will not say Oklahoma. I hope all of you Longhorn fans got room for a Sooner down there. If any of you swampers are from or currently live in that area any info on dive stuff, house/apt. rentals, will be appreciated. Also do you know of any dive shops in Laredo?

Thanks guys

Gillty

I hope you speak spanish. I bet you're going to need it if you want to teach classes. I also hope your air conditioner works well. It's one of our hottest cities.

I heard of a lake with dcent diving down that way but for the life of me I can't remember which. I prefer salt myself. You might try to search the online phonebook for scuba shops.

At least you are within a weekend drive to some saltwater. You might be able to catch a rig charter or a trip to seven and a half fathom reef.

Dearman:
I heard of a lake with dcent diving down that way but for the life of me I can't remember which.

Lake Amistad?

You speak the truth there!
I recommend a full suit for rig diving.
Gloves- oh yeah!
SMB (and reel) is a must and a air horn.

I canned our last trip out- started out all smooth, we had white tips and 4ft rollers by the time we were getting close. Nothing like being so close in your wetsuit, and then calling the dive while still on the boat. I thought about trying a deep drift but things were just too hairy.

Andrew

Dearman:
I think most of the charters stop running after October, call now to check. Frogman's set me up with a rig trip on the 1st. I agree you should start there. If Port Aransas charters are done for the year you can try ones out of South Padre. It's about a 3 hour drive South though. No cert needed for rig diving but be aware you will be 30 to 40 miles to sea. There are currents and chop to deal with. Bring a signalling device, gloves and a full wetsuit if possible. If you PM me your email I'll send a few photos.

Rig dives are the greatest. Bit then again that is about the only kind of diving experience I have besides a few shallow murky lakes. But like said before the weather is starting to get uppredictable so things will slow down until spring. It is deer season in a few weeks so that is what is important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom