Boat Dive at the old SCUBA park at Lk. Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFaure

Reaction score
Dive World in Austin is doing a morning boat dive at Don Brod's old SCUBA Park.

When: August 10

Time: Boat loading 8:30 am, leaving at 9:30 am from Just-For-Fun dock next to Carlos-N-Charlie's

Return: around 12:30

Where: "old SCUBA Park"

Fee: $15, Dive World will bring some drinks and snacks

RSVP by August 1 at Dive World 512-219-1220

Scuba Park was the scuba instructional facility owned and operated by Don Brod for more that 40 years. During that time the area became a sanctuary for all types of fish including the "giant" catfish that were fed by countless scuba students. Also, during the decades of operation, numerous salvage structures that list boats of all sizes, platforms, overturned swimming pools and other structures that could be safely used as a swim through were positioned underwater for the enjoyment of all levels of scuba enthusiasts. Today the structures and staging platforms are gone to be followed soon by the underwater world by the order of LCRA. This special underwater attraction will be lost to the diving community forever. This may be our last chance to dive the wrecks of "Scuba Park".

I've heard of the "old scuba park" for years but never had the chance to dive there. Sounds interesting.

For those of us who have never been there, could you give us an idea of where it is on the lake and how to get there?

Dee, if it is the same place I am thinking of, it is further down the same road you take to get to Windy Point, about one mile. You just continued down the road until you find the entrance on the left.

I went there twice and it was really neat. As pointed out before, it was a haven for many freshwater fish, some would even come to the surface around the dock looking for handouts. And yes, there were some monster catfish that hung around there. I kid you not, some were as big as the groupers you see in Cozumel.

I am sorry to hear it will be gone. It was a great place.

The park is closed, but the lake is public so you can reach the old park from boat only now.....

I went by the shop and looks like we already have 20 people signed up to go. Should be a fun dive..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom