Flower Garden Banks this time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to get out of Michigan this weekend and I want to try out the Flower Garden Banks. I hear the diving is very nice and the Hammerheads are schooling this time of year. Can anyone tell me what to expect this time of year? I dive the Great Lakes so i'm used to cold water (40's), poor vis, and rough "Seas".

Some things to know about the FBG in the spring... It is my favorite time to dive there, and I dare say I have made more spring trips than anyone else. However, 90% of the scheduled trips cancel. DO NOT fly on a purchased ticket. Fly on miles and ensure your dates of travel are easily changed. I know folks who have tried to get out 13 or more times and can't get a trip to make. The boats go in anything forcast less than 6 foot seas, so watch the weather reports, including the reports on the noaa 42019 buoy (closest to Stetson bank) and the 42038 buoy (closest to the Flower Gardens). The boats also use a paid weather service, and have access to the Navy reports for forcasted wave height. If any are over 6', the trip is called. If the trip is a go, plan on taking your seasickness medicine starting in the morning. The Flower Gardens boats are retired crewboats, built for speed not comfort. They run 110 miles in 8 hours, regardless of wave direction. Be prepared for a long boat briefing when the boat leaves the dock. First dive is at 7 AM on the West Bank. Wake up is at 6, and the line for the heads starts at 6:01. Water temp will be about 70 F, vis should be in excess of 200', and I have seen video of over 50 schooling hammers followed closely by 60 schooling tigers. I know, tiger sharks don't school. Tell that to the tiger sharks that day. OBTW, if tigers are seen during the day, there is no night time tiger shark feeding allowed. (no night dive). 4 to 5 dives will be offered on the first day, depending on the night dive, on two dive sites. The boat moves after the second dive. The next day is on Stetson bank, which is unlike anything you have ever dived. Water temp is 65 F. Two dives will be offered, then the boat starts for home. You will be most comfortable in your drysuit, as you will not have to put on a cold nasty wetsuit for the rest of the dives. Oh, yeah. No commercial dive boat has made it to the Flower Gardens since October due to weather and scheduling. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll wait for the Summer months. 200' vis is awesome.

Captain Frank and crew are awesome.

I will never forget my first ride out and the safety talk.
It was a comedy review of what to do and what not to do!
Never laughed so hard about what people have done with their dive computers.

My gallery has some pics and maps of the dive site.

Andrew

Capt Frank and crew are the best. IMNSHO, given any choice at all, go with the Spree every time. It is a great dive trip.

DSAO
Mike

The Spree and Capt. Frank.... give us a shout at Surface Interval Scuba and we can set you up a trip.

divewookie is right 90% spring diving in the gulf is cancelled due to weather. The Best time to Dive the Gulf normally is in the fall. Less chop and better viz. But you young divers can head out in 4 to 5's and have some fun. Been there done that

Back
Top Bottom