New Diver in Houston Texas, where should I go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c_figaro

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently got certified in Austin Texas (Lake Travis, and even that was awesome), then went on a trip to Belize and did nine dives there. That was an awesome trip, and I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to diving now. I even DREAM about it.

I moved to Houston for a new job.. I don't know anyone enthusiastic about scuba diving here, and I was wondering where I could go to find people to dive with. I'm open to any kind of diving that my certification will allow me to do, and I was wondering where I could find other people interested in diving that will let me go with them to some interesting spots.

I don't know where any good local diving is. Are there any local diving associations I should check out? Where can I learn about equipment purchasing?

Welcome to the world of diving. Your days of having spare time and money are over.:D

1. Hang out here on Scubaboard and you will "meet" lots of people and learn more than you ever could in a class. (But that doesn't mean forgo any more classes.) There are many sections of SB and you'll want to spend a lot of time in several of them. One of special interest to you will be the Texas Swamp Divers section. It tends to be dominated by North Texas divers but there are lots of Houston divers there.

2. CHUM Club (City of Houston Underwater Mariners) is the fastest growing dive club in Houston and there you will have opportunities for nearby trips and local outings nearly every weekend. The board is most active during weekdays. We officially meet monthly but with all the local and impromptu events it's almost every week.

3. This Friday there is a Houston area Happy Hour for anyone interested in diving to meet and have fun. All the details are in the link.

Houston is where we all change planes on our way to Cozumel. :D

You're less than 2 hours away from fabulous diving, inexpensive accomodations and good food.

Welcome to scubaboard. You will enjoy it here and meet lots of new dive buddies and get lots of good information, including that provided by TheRedHead in the post above.

Willie

Hey!

Welcome to the lifechanging sport of Scuba Diving!! Be sure and check out some of the local dive stores in Houston! They can give you countless advise and places to go around your area. Your local dive store is the key to meeting people, staying educated, and taking trips, and everything else associated with diving! Just find a store that you like. Visit all of them and see which one that you connect with the best! Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom