Diving Lake Whitney?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHunt

Reaction score
Hey Swampers,

Anyone out there been diving at Lake Whitney in the last week or so? I may go there next week but was hoping that I could get some feedback on recent conditions or what type of conditiones to expect this time of year (viz, temp, etc.) and best locations on the lake to dive.

Also does anyone know if there is on-lake or near-lake air fill stations available and where they are located.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jim

Jim,

I dove Lake Whitney a few months ago. There is a Scuba Point on the east side on the dam. They do have air and charge $10-$15 to dive. On the west side of the dam is Solders Point. It's a campground on the water but there is a vertical wall from the campground toward the dam. Vis is lousy, water is cold. It's one of those dives that you do to say you did. If you go, I hope you have a good dive.

Richard

Also, I forgot to add, I'll be diving from a boat. So if there are locations on the lake that offer better viz or unique opportunities not otherwise available to shore divers I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks for the input Richard, just tucked it away in my log for reference.

Thanks,
Jim

We went out there about a month ago. I don't have a boat so all I know is Loafers Bend. The owners are real friendly folks. We paid $5 to dive & $5 for the air fills. I thinks that's the regular price, but then year before last we were out there every weekend so maybe they just cut us a deal.

They have a small cove roped off to stop boat traffic. They don't have a boat dock so I'm not sure how you'd go about dropping your tanks off from a boat.

I've never tried over by the dam, but I used to do 90' in just my swim trunks or a 3mm. The viz usually bites after July - about 5'. Heck we ended up using retractable key chains to keep from losing each other. (I do not endorse this practice - we were trained idiots on a mission - please do not try this at home)

The Suba Park at Lake Whitney link

All I can say is don't let go of your buddy or you'll lose 'em and be careful not to drop down into a cedar top full of old fishing line and lures. That's kinda scarey.

Other than that you'll have a fine time.

Finished my Divemaster training there yesterday (9-29-02) Viz was 2' at best, temp was mid 80s,went to 67' and found no thermocline. Nice folks at the dive shop.

FAT BOY SCUBA once bubbled...
Finished my Divemaster training there yesterday (9-29-02) .

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of Dive Sherpas!

Hey I recently went cliff jumping at lake whitney and unfortunately lost my GoPro camera in the lake. I am not a diver myself and I'm just looking for someone who is willing to maybe dive down and look for my GoPro and try to recover it. I will pay for your services and would appreciate any help you guys can give. If you can help me out please let me know. If you know another diver or company that could help me that would also be very helpful too. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom